Date:   Mon, 5 Oct 2020 11:44:10 +0100
From:   Lorenzo Pieralisi <lorenzo.pieralisi@....com>
To:     Alex Williamson <alex.williamson@...hat.com>
Cc:     Auger Eric <eric.auger@...hat.com>, joro@...tes.org,
        iommu@...ts.linux-foundation.org, robin.murphy@....com,
        dwmw2@...radead.org, eric.auger.pro@...il.com,
        linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, Will Deacon <will@...nel.org>,
        Lu Baolu <baolu.lu@...ux.intel.com>,
        shameerali.kolothum.thodi@...wei.com,
        Jean-Philippe Brucker <jean-philippe@...aro.org>, hch@....de
Subject: Re: [RFC 0/3] iommu: Reserved regions for IOVAs beyond dma_mask and
 iommu aperture

[+Christoph]

On Tue, Sep 29, 2020 at 12:18:49PM -0600, Alex Williamson wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Sep 2020 09:18:22 +0200
> Auger Eric <eric.auger@...hat.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > [also correcting some outdated email addresses + adding Lorenzo in cc]
> >
> > On 9/29/20 12:42 AM, Alex Williamson wrote:

> > > I think that dma_mask is traditionally a DMA API interface for a device
> > > driver to indicate to the DMA layer which mappings are accessible to the
> > > device.  On the other hand, vfio makes use of the IOMMU API where the
> > > driver is in userspace.  That userspace driver has full control of the
> > > IOVA range of the device, therefore dma_mask is mostly irrelevant to
> > > vfio.  I think the issue you're trying to tackle is that the IORT code
> > > is making use of the dma_mask to try to describe a DMA address
> > > limitation imposed by the PCI root bus, living between the endpoint
> > > device and the IOMMU.  Therefore, if the IORT code is exposing a
> > > topology or system imposed device limitation, this seems much more akin
> > > to something like an MSI reserved range, where it's not necessarily the
> > > device or the IOMMU with the limitation, but something that sits
> > > between them.
> >
> > First I think I failed to explain the context. I worked on NVMe
> > passthrough on ARM. The QEMU NVMe backend uses VFIO to program the
> > physical device. The IOVA allocator there currently uses an IOVA range
> > within [0x10000, 1ULL << 39]. This IOVA layout rather is arbitrary if I
> > understand correctly.
>
> 39 bits is the minimum available on some VT-d systems, so it was
> probably considered a reasonable minimum address width to consider.
>
> > I noticed we rapidly get some VFIO MAP DMA
> > failures because the allocated IOVA collide with the ARM MSI reserved
> > IOVA window [0x8000000, 0x8100000]. Since  9b77e5c79840 ("vfio/type1:
> > Check reserved region conflict and update iova list"), such VFIO MAP DMA
> > attempts to map IOVAs belonging to host reserved IOVA windows fail. So,
> > by using the VFIO_IOMMU_GET_INFO ioctl /
> > VFIO_IOMMU_TYPE1_INFO_CAP_IOVA_RANGE I can change the IOVA allocator to
> > avoid allocating within this range and others. While working on this, I
> > tried to automatically compute the min/max IOVAs and change the
> > arbitrary [0x10000, 1ULL << 39]. My SMMUv2 supports up to 48b so
> > naturally the max IOVA was computed as 1ULL << 48. The QEMU NVMe backend
> > allocates at the bottom and at the top of the range. I noticed the use
> > case was not working as soon as the top IOVA was more than 1ULL << 42.
> > And then we noticed the dma_mask was set to 42 by using
> > cat  /sys/bus/pci/devices/0005:01:00.0/dma_mask_bits. So my
> > interpretation is the dma_mask was somehow containing the info the
> > device couldn't handle IOVAs beyond a certain limit.
>
> I see that there are both OF and ACPI hooks in pci_dma_configure() and
> both modify dev->dma_mask, which is what pci-sysfs is exposing here,
> but I'm not convinced this even does what it's intended to do.  The
> driver core calls this via the bus->dma_configure callback before
> [...]

I don't think so but Christoph and Robin can provide more input on
this - it is a long story.

ACPI and OF bindings set a default dma_mask (and dev->bus_dma_limit),
this does not prevent a driver from overriding the dev->dma_mask but DMA
mapping code still takes into account the dev->bus_dma_limit.

This may help:

git log -p 03bfdc31176c

Thanks,
Lorenzo