Date:   Wed, 7 Oct 2020 17:40:43 +0200
From:   "Rafael J. Wysocki" <rafael.j.wysocki@...el.com>
To:     Mel Gorman <mgorman@...hsingularity.net>
Cc:     Takashi Iwai <tiwai@...e.de>, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: ACPI _CST introduced performance regresions on Haswll

On 10/6/2020 9:47 PM, Mel Gorman wrote:

>>> Presumably, some of the idle states are disabled by default on the affected
>>> machines.
>>>
>>> Can you check the disable and default_status attributes of each state before
>>> and after the commit in question?
>>>
>> # grep . pre-cst/cpuidle/state*/disable
> Sorry, second attempt after thinking the results made no sense at all.
> Turns out I fat fingered setting up the enable-cst kernel the second time
> to collect what you asked for and the patch was not applied at all.
>
> # grep . pre-cst/cpuidle/state*/disable
> pre-cst/cpuidle/state0/disable:0
> pre-cst/cpuidle/state1/disable:0
> pre-cst/cpuidle/state2/disable:0
> pre-cst/cpuidle/state3/disable:0
> pre-cst/cpuidle/state4/disable:0
> # grep . pre-cst/cpuidle/state*/default_status
> pre-cst/cpuidle/state0/default_status:enabled
> pre-cst/cpuidle/state1/default_status:enabled
> pre-cst/cpuidle/state2/default_status:enabled
> pre-cst/cpuidle/state3/default_status:enabled
> pre-cst/cpuidle/state4/default_status:enabled
> # grep . enable-cst/cpuidle/state*/disable
> enable-cst/cpuidle/state0/disable:0
> enable-cst/cpuidle/state1/disable:0
> enable-cst/cpuidle/state2/disable:0
> enable-cst/cpuidle/state3/disable:1
> enable-cst/cpuidle/state4/disable:1
> # grep . enable-cst/cpuidle/state*/default_status
> enable-cst/cpuidle/state0/default_status:enabled
> enable-cst/cpuidle/state1/default_status:enabled
> enable-cst/cpuidle/state2/default_status:enabled
> enable-cst/cpuidle/state3/default_status:disabled
> enable-cst/cpuidle/state4/default_status:disabled
>
> That looks like C3 and C6 are disabled after the patch.
>
> # grep . enable-cst/cpuidle/state*/name
> enable-cst/cpuidle/state0/name:POLL
> enable-cst/cpuidle/state1/name:C1
> enable-cst/cpuidle/state2/name:C1E
> enable-cst/cpuidle/state3/name:C3
> enable-cst/cpuidle/state4/name:C6

That's kind of unexpected and there may be two reasons for that.

First off, the MWAIT hints in the ACPI tables for C3 and C6 may be
different from the ones in the intel_idle internal table.

Second, the ACPI tables may only be listing C1.

Can you send me the acpidump output from the affected machine, please?