Date:   Wed, 18 Nov 2020 19:00:21 +0000
From:   David Laight <David.Laight@...LAB.COM>
To:     'Linus Torvalds' <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>,
        Thomas Zimmermann <tzimmermann@...e.de>
        Daniel Vetter <daniel.vetter@...ll.ch>,
        Dave Airlie <airlied@...hat.com>,
        dri-devel <dri-devel@...ts.freedesktop.org>
Subject: RE: Linux 5.10-rc4

From: Linus Torvalds
> Sent: 18 November 2020 18:11
>
> On Wed, Nov 18, 2020 at 4:12 AM David Laight <David.Laight@...lab.com> wrote:
> >
> > I've got the 'splat' below during boot.
> > This is an 8-core C2758 Atom cpu using the on-board/cpu graphics.
> > User space is Ubuntu 20.04.
> >
> > Additionally the X display has all the colours and alignment slightly
> > messed up.
> > 5.9.0 was ok.
> > I'm just guessing the two issues are related.
>
> Sounds likely.  But it would be lovely if you could bisect when
> exactly the problem(s) started to both verify that, and just to
> pinpoint the exact change..

I'm working on it - have been all afternoon.
(I'm on holiday and it is raining...)

5.10-rc1 fails, so it is something in the merge window.
I suspect I'll just hit the pull of the drm changes.
The bisect suddenly build a 5.9-rc5+ kernel!
So I'm retesting a good/bad pair with likely dates and will restart it.

Annoyingly the test system defaults to booting the highest version
kernel - not the one I've just build; I may have given it a wrong answer.
The builds also all take 20 minutes; so the bisect is slow.

	David

Registration No: 1397386 (Wales)