Date:   Mon, 23 Nov 2020 14:54:19 +0100
From:   Hans de Goede <hdegoede@...hat.com>
To:     Mika Westerberg <mika.westerberg@...ux.intel.com>
Cc:     "Limonciello, Mario" <Mario.Limonciello@...l.com>,
        Greg KH <gregkh@...uxfoundation.org>,
        Bastien Nocera <hadess@...ess.net>,
        Linux PM <linux-pm@...r.kernel.org>,
        "linux-usb@...r.kernel.org" <linux-usb@...r.kernel.org>,
        "linux-input@...r.kernel.org" <linux-input@...r.kernel.org>,
        Mathias Nyman <mathias.nyman@...ux.intel.com>
Subject: Re: How to enable auto-suspend by default

Hi,

On 11/11/20 3:31 PM, Mika Westerberg wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 11, 2020 at 12:27:32PM +0100, Hans de Goede wrote:
>> Hi,

>>> I think this one is the TGL PCH xHCI. The quirk currently for xHCI
>>> controllers that are part of the TCSS (Type-C SubSystem) where it is
>>> important to put all devices into low power mode whenever possible,
>>> otherwise it keeps the whole block on.
>>
>> Note that there are currently some IDs missing from the xHCIs which
>> are part of the TCSS too. At least the id for the xHCI in the thunderbolt
>> controller on the Lenovo T14 gen 1 is missing. I started a discussion
>> about extending the kernel quirk list for this vs switching to hwdb
>> a while a go:
>>
>> https://lore.kernel.org/linux-usb/b8b21ba3-0a8a-ff54-5e12-cf8960651086@redhat.com/
>>
>> The conclusion back then was to switch to hwdb, but I never got around to this.
>
> The reason I've added these to the xHCI driver is that it works even if
> you are running some really small userspace (like busybox). Also for the
> xHCI in TCSS we know for sure that it fully supports D3cold.
>
> (The one you refer above is actually mistake from my side as I never
>  tested Alpine Ridge LP controller which I think this is).

Ok, so I'll submit a patch adding the 15c1 product-id for the
INTEL_ALPINE_RIDGE_LP_2C_XHCI controller to the list of ids for which we
set the XHCI_DEFAULT_PM_RUNTIME_ALLOW quirk. To fix the much too high
idle-power consumption problem on devices with this Alpine Ridge variant.

>>> Typically we haven't done that for PCH side xHCI controllers though, but
>>> I don't see why not if it works that is. Adding Mathias to comment more
>>> on that since he is the xHCI maintainer.
>>
>> If we are also going to enable this for the non TCSS Intel XHCI controllers,
>> maybe just uncondtionally enable it for all Intel XHCI controllers, or
>> if necessary do a deny-list for some older models and enable it for anything
>> not on the deny-list (so all newer models). That should avoid the game of
>> whack-a-mole which we will have with this otherwise.
>
> This is really up to Mathias to decide. I'm fine either way :)

Ok, Matthias what do you think about this?

Regards,

Hans