Date:   Thu, 3 Dec 2020 14:20:56 -0800
From:   Jakub Kicinski <kuba@...nel.org>
To:     Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>
Cc:     David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>,
        Netdev <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
Subject: Re: [GIT PULL] Networking for 5.10-rc7

On Thu, 3 Dec 2020 13:18:13 -0800 Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 3, 2020 at 12:45 PM Jakub Kicinski <kuba@...nel.org> wrote:
> > Networking fixes for 5.10-rc7, including fixes from bpf, netfilter,
> > wireless drivers, wireless mesh and can.
>
> Thanks, pulled.
>
> And btw - maybe I've already talked about this, but since next week is
> (hopefully) going to be the last week of rc release: since the
> networking pulls tend to be some of the bigger ones, one thing I've
> asked David to do in the past is to (a) not send a big networking pull
> request right before the final release and (b) let me know whether
> there is anything worrisome going on in networking.
>
> So if you send it on a Thursday (like this one), then that's all good
> - it's the "Oh, it's Sunday noon, I was planning on a final release in
> the afternoon, and I have a big networking fix pull request in my
> mailbox" that I'd prefer to not see.

Make sense.

I'm not anticipating that the last PR will be much smaller, given
we get a constant stream of fixes for older releases and the review
coverage is pretty good so we can apply stuff with confidence.

Sounds like a comparable PR size will not be a major concern to you as
long as the PR comes in early on Thu and we are reporting any sign of
trouble. Sounds good!

> A heads up on the "Uhhuh - we have something bad going in the
> networking tree" kind of situation you can obviously send at any time.
> If there are known issues, I'll just make an rc8 - I prefer not to
> _have_ to, of course, but I'd always much rather be safe than release
> the final kernel just because I didn't know of some pending issue.

Will do!

> (And the reverse - just a note saying "everything looks fine, none of
> this is scary and there's nothing pending that looks at all worrisome
> either" - for the last rc pull is obviously also always appreciated,
> but generally I'll assume that unless something else is said, we're in
> good shape).

Ack, it's been smooth sailing so far in this release.

No big scares, knock on wood.

This time around (other than the large-ish ibmvnic set which was in
the works for a while) the PR was smaller, but I think that's only
due to Turkey lethargy.

Thanks for this note, I was shy to ask about the endgame :)