Date:   Thu, 3 Dec 2020 09:33:48 +0100
From:   Rasmus Villemoes <linux@...musvillemoes.dk>
To:     Yun Levi <ppbuk5246@...il.com>, Yury Norov <yury.norov@...il.com>
Cc:     dushistov@...l.ru, Arnd Bergmann <arnd@...db.de>,
        "Gustavo A. R. Silva" <gustavo@...eddedor.com>,
        William Breathitt Gray <vilhelm.gray@...il.com>,
        richard.weiyang@...ux.alibaba.com, joseph.qi@...ux.alibaba.com,
        skalluru@...vell.com, Josh Poimboeuf <jpoimboe@...hat.com>,
        linux-arch@...r.kernel.org,
        Andy Shevchenko <andriy.shevchenko@...ux.intel.com>
Subject: Re:

On 03/12/2020 02.23, Yun Levi wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 3, 2020 at 7:51 AM Yun Levi <ppbuk5246@...il.com> wrote:

Either just make the return type of all find_prev/find_last be signed
int and use -1 as the sentinel to indicate "no such position exists", so
the loop condition would be foo >= 0. Or, change the condition from
"stop if we get the size returned" to "only continue if we get something
strictly less than the size we passed in (i.e., something which can
possibly be a valid bit index). In the latter case, both (unsigned)-1
aka UINT_MAX and the actual size value passed work equally well as a
sentinel.

If one uses UINT_MAX, a for_each_bit_reverse() macro would just be
something like

for (i = find_last_bit(bitmap, size); i < size; i =
find_last_bit(bitmap, i))

if one wants to use the size argument as the sentinel, the caller would
have to supply a scratch variable to keep track of the last i value:

for (j = size, i = find_last_bit(bitmap, j); i < j; j = i, i =
find_last_bit(bitmap, j))

which is probably a little less ergonomic.

Rasmus