Date:   Wed, 9 Dec 2020 18:57:44 +0200
From:   Martin Zaharinov <micron10@...il.com>
To:     Guillaume Nault <gnault@...hat.com>
Cc:     "linux-kernel@...r kernel. org" <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
        Eric Dumazet <eric.dumazet@...il.com>, netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Urgent: BUG: PPP ioctl Transport endpoint is not connected

Hi Nault

> On 9 Dec 2020, at 18:40, Guillaume Nault <gnault@...hat.com> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Dec 09, 2020 at 04:47:52PM +0200, Martin Zaharinov wrote:
>> Hi All
>>
>> I have problem with latest kernel release
>> And the problem is base on this late problem :
>>

>> https://www.mail-archive.com/search?l=netdev@vger.kernel.org&q=subject:%22Re%5C%3A+ppp%5C%2Fpppoe%2C+still+panic+4.15.3+in+ppp_push%22&o=newest&f=1
>>
>> I have same problem in kernel 5.6 > now I use kernel 5.9.13 and have same problem.
>>

>> In kernel 5.9.13 now don’t have any crashes in dimes but in one moment accel service stop with defunct and in log have many of this line :
>>

>> error: vlan608: ioctl(PPPIOCCONNECT): Transport endpoint is not connected
>> error: vlan617: ioctl(PPPIOCCONNECT): Transport endpoint is not connected
>> error: vlan679: ioctl(PPPIOCCONNECT): Transport endpoint is not connected
>>
>> In one moment connected user bump double or triple and after that service defunct and need wait to drop all session to start .
>>
>> I talk with accel-ppp team and they said this is kernel related problem and to back to kernel 4.14 there is not this problem.
>>
>> Problem is come after kernel 4.15 > and not have solution to this moment.
>
> I'm sorry, I don't understand.
> Do you mean that v4.14 worked fine (no crash, no ioctl() error)?
> Did the problem start appearing in v4.15? Or did v4.15 work and the
> problem appeared in v4.16?

In Telegram group I talk with Sergey and Dimka and told my the problem is come after changes from 4.14 to 4.15
Sergey write this : "as I know, there was a similar issue in kernel 4.15 so maybe it is still not fixed”

I don’t have options to test with this old kernel 4.14.xxx i don’t have support for them.

>> Please help to find the problem.
>>
>> Last time in link I see is make changes in ppp_generic.c
>>
>> ppp_lock(ppp);
>>        spin_lock_bh(&pch->downl);
>>        if (!pch->chan) {
>>                /* Don't connect unregistered channels */
>>                spin_unlock_bh(&pch->downl);
>>                ppp_unlock(ppp);
>>                ret = -ENOTCONN;
>>                goto outl;
>>        }
>>        spin_unlock_bh(&pch->downl);
>>

>> But this fix only to don’t display error and freeze system
>> The problem is stay and is to big.
>
> Do you use accel-ppp's unit-cache option? Does the problem go away if
> you stop using it?

No I don’t use unit-cache , if I set unit-cache accel-ppp defunct same but user Is connect and disconnet more fast.

The problem is same with unit and without .
Only after this patch I don’t see error in dimes but this is not solution.
In network have customer what have power cut problem, when drop 600 user and back Is normal but in this moment kernel is locking and start to make this :
sessions:
  starting: 4235
  active: 3882
  finishing: 378

 The problem is starting session is not real user normal user in this server is ~4k customers .

I use pppd_compat .

Any idea ?

>> Please help to fix.
Martin