Date:   Tue, 15 Dec 2020 10:53:03 +0100
From:   Ulf Hansson <ulf.hansson@...aro.org>
To:     Geert Uytterhoeven <geert@...ux-m68k.org>
Cc:     Doug Anderson <dianders@...omium.org>,
        Arnd Bergmann <arnd@...nel.org>,
        Dmitry Torokhov <dmitry.torokhov@...il.com>,
        SoC Team <soc@...nel.org>,
        Linux ARM <linux-arm-kernel@...ts.infradead.org>,
        "open list:OPEN FIRMWARE AND FLATTENED DEVICE TREE BINDINGS"
        <devicetree@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [GIT PULL] ARM: SoC fixes for v5.10, part 3

On Tue, 15 Dec 2020 at 09:19, Geert Uytterhoeven <geert@...ux-m68k.org> wrote:

> Hi Ulf,
>
> On Mon, Dec 14, 2020 at 9:23 PM Ulf Hansson <ulf.hansson@...aro.org> wrote:

> > > This is not limited to MMC.
> > > The same is true for sdX, ethX (e* these days), ttyS*, i2cX, spiX, ...
> > > The rule has always been to handle it by udev, disklabels, ...
> >
> > That's right.
> >
> > Although, those rules haven't been sufficient for some cases, which
> > has been discussed many many times by now. I can dig out some of the
> > old threads from the mail archive, just tell me and will help to find
> > them.
> >
> > For mmc we have decided to improve the situation by adding support for
> > aliases in DT. The support seems robust enough to me, but if you think
> > there are problems with it, please tell me and I am happy to help to
> > improve it.
>
> DT rule #1: DT is hardware description (device naming is software
> policy).

I do admit, the use of aliases in DT, for *all* cases including mmc is
a bit of a stretch. Anyway, it's there.

> The only generally accepted aliases are "serial0" (the first serial
> port, as such labeled on the board, to be used for the console;  there
> may be more labeled ports, and thus more "serialX" aliases), and
> "ethernet0" (the first Ethernet port, so U-Boot knows to which port to
> add an appropriate "local-mac-address" property, when booting over the
> network).  So yeah, you can claim the first SD card slot is labeled as
> such, and thus deserves an alias.  Then the issue is what you do with
> the remaining slots, which can be added either statically or
> dynamically.  And what if for some reason the labeled MMC slot is not
> probed first...

The probe order shouldn't matter. By pre-parsing all mmc aliases (for
all slots) existing in the DTB we can keep track of reserved ids. In
this way, for the non-alias case, we can dynamically select a
non-reserved id.

Although, perhaps more improvements can be made.

> The description of commit 7678f4c20fa7670f ("serial: sh-sci: Add support
> for dynamic instances") mentions some background and remaining
> issues w.r.t. aliases.
>
> > In regards to adding a new Kconfig option for "legacy probe", I am
> > open to this if that's what people think is needed. Although, as
> > pointed out earlier in this thread, it won't move us into a stable
> > situation. The only solution to get to that point, is either to use
> > udev/disklabel rules or the mmc aliases in DT.
>
> IMHO that will be a fragile solution, too: over time, it may become
> harder and harder to maintain the original probe order.
>
> And if it will be an option, it means there will be two code paths to
> maintain, increasing the burden.

Alright, sounds like we can conclude that the Kconfig option doesn't
seem like a good way forward.

Kind regards
Uffe