Date:   Wed, 16 Dec 2020 11:24:04 -0800
From:   Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>
To:     Kees Cook <keescook@...omium.org>
        Masahiro Yamada <masahiroy@...nel.org>
Subject: Re: [GIT PULL] gcc-plugins updates for v5.11-rc1

On Tue, Dec 15, 2020 at 12:15 PM Kees Cook <keescook@...omium.org> wrote:

> Please pull these gcc-plugins updates for v5.11-rc1.

Hmm, I pulled this and then did an allmodconfig build.

I expected that to be a full rebuild, since the plugins got
recompiled, but it turned out to just take 16 seconds because it only
compiled the plugins, not any of the object files.

I'm doing a _proper_ full build with this after doing a

   git clean -dqfx

to actually clean everything out, but it did make me go "Umm".

Maybe we don't care. I guess the plugins are all supposed to be stable
in the sense that any updates don't change the generated code. But it
does strike me as a honking big hole for verification of plugin
changes.

So I don't think this necessarily requires any changes to our Kbuild
infrastructure, but I thought I'd mention it since this clearly didn't
match my naive expectations.

              Linus