Date:   Fri, 1 Jan 2021 23:32:27 +0100
From:   "Rafael J. Wysocki" <rafael@...nel.org>
To:     Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>
Cc:     "Rafael J. Wysocki" <rafael@...nel.org>,
        Linux PM <linux-pm@...r.kernel.org>,
Subject: Re: [GIT PULL] Power management updates for v5.11-rc2

On Fri, Jan 1, 2021 at 10:12 PM Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@...ux-foundation.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 1, 2021 at 8:51 AM Rafael J. Wysocki <rafael@...nel.org> wrote:
> >
> >  - Add new power capping facility called DTPM (Dynamic Thermal Power
> >    Management), based on the existing power capping framework, to
> >    allow aggregate power constraints to be applied to sets of devices
> >    in a distributed manner, along with a CPU backend driver based on
> >    the Energy Model (Daniel Lezcano).
>
> This seems very much a non-fix thing.

Well, that's right.

> Please explain why I should accept this outside the merge window.

This material has been in the works for quite a while and it missed
the merge window mostly due to unfavorable timing, so it is not a
last-minute thing.

It is self-contained and it doesn't interfere with the existing
features, so it is not likely to introduce regressions in my view.

I didn't think that there was much to gain by postponing it, because
it wouldn't change substantially between now and the next merge window
and the testing coverage of it in linux-next would be limited.  On the
other hand, having it in the tree would encourage people to build on
top of it, exercise it and provide feedback, so I decided to include
it here.

However, if you'd rather skip it this time, I'll be happy to resend
the pull request without it.

Rafael