Date:   Tue,  5 Jan 2021 16:54:15 +0530
From:   Viresh Kumar <viresh.kumar@...aro.org>
To:     Pantelis Antoniou <pantelis.antoniou@...sulko.com>,
        Frank Rowand <frowand.list@...il.com>,
        Rob Herring <robh+dt@...nel.org>,
        Masahiro Yamada <masahiroy@...nel.org>,
        Michal Marek <michal.lkml@...kovi.net>
Cc:     Viresh Kumar <viresh.kumar@...aro.org>, devicetree@...r.kernel.org,
        linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, linux-kbuild@...r.kernel.org,
        Vincent Guittot <vincent.guittot@...aro.org>,
        Bill Mills <bill.mills@...aro.org>, tero.kristo@...il.com
Subject: [RFC 0/2] kbuild: Add support to build overlays (%.dtbo)

Hello,

Here is an attempt to make some changes in the kernel to allow building
of device tree overlays.

While at it, I would also like to discuss about how we should mention
the base DT blobs in the Makefiles for the overlays, so they can be
build tested to make sure the overlays apply properly.

A simple way is to mention that with -base extension, like this:

$(overlay-file)-base := platform-base.dtb

Any other preference ?

Also fdtoverlay is an external entity right now, and is not part of the
kernel. Do we need to make it part of the kernel ? Or keep using the
external entity ?

Thanks.

--
Viresh

Viresh Kumar (2):
  kbuild: Add support to build overlays (%.dtbo)
  scripts: dtc: Handle outform dtbo

 Makefile             |  4 ++--
 scripts/Makefile.lib | 12 ++++++++++++
 scripts/dtc/dtc.c    |  2 ++