Date:   Fri, 15 Jan 2021 17:15:05 +0100
From:   Niklas Schnelle <schnelle@...ux.ibm.com>
To:     Bjorn Helgaas <helgaas@...nel.org>
Cc:     Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@...uxfoundation.org>,
        Christian Brauner <christian.brauner@...ntu.com>,
        linux-pci@...r.kernel.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
        linux-s390@...r.kernel.org, Pierre Morel <pmorel@...ux.ibm.com>,
        Peter Oberparleiter <oberpar@...ux.ibm.com>,
        Viktor Mihajlovski <mihajlov@...ux.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: [RFC 1/1] s390/pci: expose UID checking state in sysfs

On 1/15/21 4:29 PM, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 12:20:59PM +0100, Niklas Schnelle wrote:
>> ... snip ...

>>> Name your attribute group, and then you do not have to mess with a
>>> "raw" kobject like you are below:
>>
>> Thanks for this tip and sorry for bothering you again.

>>> No, do not mess with at kset, just set the default attribute group for
>>> the bus to the above, and you should be fine.
>>
>> Oh ok, I got this idea from the code adding /sys/bus/pci/slots/ in
>> drivers/pci/slot.c:pci_slot_init(). See below maybe we can clean that up too.

>>> Huge hint, if in a driver, or bus subsystem, and you call sysfs_*,
>>> that's usually a huge clue that you are doing something wrong.
>>>
>>> Try the above again, with a simple attribute group, and name for it, and
>>> it should "just work".
>>
>> I'm probably missing something but I don't get how this could work
>> in this case. If I'm seeing this right the default attribute group
>> here is pci_bus_type.bus_groups and that is already set in
>> drivers/pci/pci-driver.c so I don't think I should set that.
>>
>> I did however find bus_create_file() which does work when using the
>> path /sys/bus/pci/uid_checking instead. This would work for us if
>> Bjorn is okay with that path and the code is really clean and simple
>> too.
>>
>> That said, I think we could also add something like
>> bus_create_group().  Then we could use that to also clean up
>> drivers/pci/slot.c:pci_slot_init() and get the original path
>> /sys/bus/pci/zpci/uid_checking.
>
> I don't think "uid_checking" is quite the right name.  It says
> something about the *implementation*, but it doesn't convey what that
> *means* to userspace.  IIUC this file tells userspace something about
> whether a given PCI device always has the same PCI domain/bus/dev/fn
> address (or maybe just the same domain?)

Yes you're right, in fact we internally also started to think about
something more meaning oriented like "unique_uids". This indeed results
in PCI addresses which can be relied upon as stable identifiers. For us
it's enough that the domain matches as the bus is always 0 and
dev/fn are determined by the device and SR-IOV stride etc.
so will remain the same for equivalent configurations.

> It sounds like this feature could be useful beyond just s390, and
> other arches might implement it differently, without the UID concept.
> If so, I'm OK with something at the /sys/bus/pci/xxx level as long as
> the name is not s390-specific (and "uid" sounds s390-specific).
>
> I assume it would also help with the udev/systemd end if you could
> make this less s390 dependent.
>
> Bjorn

That's a very good point! I'm absolutely open to making this a
common concept. I think the gist could be that the addressing/ids on
the bus are reproducible, there might be some user configuration
required but then they can be relied upon for stable names like
network interfaces. So maybe a name like "reproducible_addressing"?
I guess one non-s390 exclusive case of this could be virtualized
PCI under QEMU/KVM etc. versus real hardware or even UEFI/Firmware
guarantees, right?