Date:   Sun, 17 Jan 2021 00:09:21 +0800
From:   Feng Tang <feng.tang@...el.com>
To:     "Paul E. McKenney" <paulmck@...nel.org>
Cc:     Borislav Petkov <bp@...en8.de>,
        kernel test robot <oliver.sang@...el.com>,
        Jonathan Lemon <bsd@...com>, Tony Luck <tony.luck@...el.com>,
        LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>, x86@...nel.org,
        lkp@...ts.01.org, lkp@...el.com, ying.huang@...el.com,
        zhengjun.xing@...el.com
Subject: Re: [x86/mce]  7bb39313cd:  netperf.Throughput_tps -4.5% regression

On Sat, Jan 16, 2021 at 07:34:26AM -0800, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 16, 2021 at 11:52:51AM +0800, Feng Tang wrote:
> > Hi Boris,

> > > I'm very very sceptical this thing benchmarks #MC exception handler
> > > performance. Because the code this patch adds gets run only during a MCE
> > > exception.
> > >
> > > So unless I'm missing something obvious please check your setup.
> >
> > We've tracked some similar strange kernel performance changes, like
> > another mce related one [1]. For many of them, the root cause is
> > the patch changes the code or data alignment/address of other
> > components, as could be seen from System.map file.
> >
> > We added debug patch trying to force data sections of each .o be
> > aligned (isolating components), and run the test 3 times, and
> > the regression is gone.
> >
> >          %stddev     %change         %stddev
> >              \          |                \
> >     263059            -0.2%     262523        netperf.Throughput_total_tps
> >      16441            -0.2%      16407        netperf.Throughput_tps
> >
> > So the -4.5% is likely to be caused by data address change.
> >
> > But still there is something I don't understand, that the patch
> > introduces a new cpumask 'mce_missing_cpus', which is 1024B, and
> > from the System.map, all data following it get a 1024B offset,
> > without changing the cacheline alignment situation.
> >
> > 2 original system map files are attached in case people want
> > to check.
> >
> > [1]. https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20200425114414.GU26573@shao2-debian/
>
> One possibility is that the data-address changes put more stress on the
> TLB, for example, if that region of memory is not covered by a huge
> TLB entry.  If this is the case, is there a convenient way to define
> mce_missing_cpus so as to get it out of the way?

Yes! I also tried some experiment for dTLB, by adding 3 more cpumask_t
right after 'mce_missing_cpus', so that the total offset will be 4KB.
I expected the regression could be gone, but it turns out to have
a +2.4% improvement.

     16741            -4.5%      15980            +2.4%      17149        netperf.Throughput_tps

Which is still kind of out of our control :)

Thanks,
Feng