Date:   Tue, 26 Jan 2021 17:11:59 -0800
From:   Vipin Sharma <vipinsh@...gle.com>
To:     Tejun Heo <tj@...nel.org>
Cc:     David Rientjes <rientjes@...gle.com>,
        Sean Christopherson <seanjc@...gle.com>,
        Tom Lendacky <thomas.lendacky@....com>,
        "Singh, Brijesh" <brijesh.singh@....com>,
        "Grimm, Jon" <jon.grimm@....com>,
        "Van Tassell, Eric" <eric.vantassell@....com>, pbonzini@...hat.com,
        lizefan@...wei.com, hannes@...xchg.org, frankja@...ux.ibm.com,
        borntraeger@...ibm.com, corbet@....net, joro@...tes.org,
        vkuznets@...hat.com, wanpengli@...cent.com, jmattson@...gle.com,
        tglx@...utronix.de, mingo@...hat.com, bp@...en8.de, hpa@...or.com,
        gingell@...gle.com, dionnaglaze@...gle.com, kvm@...r.kernel.org,
        x86@...nel.org, cgroups@...r.kernel.org, linux-doc@...r.kernel.org,
        linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [Patch v4 1/2] cgroup: svm: Add Encryption ID controller

On Tue, Jan 26, 2021 at 05:01:04PM -0500, Tejun Heo wrote:
> The whole thing seems pretty immature to me and I agree with you that coming
> up with an abstraction at this stage feels risky.
>
> I'm leaning towards creating a misc controller to shove these things into:
>
> * misc.max and misc.current: nested keyed files listing max and current
>   usage for the cgroup.
>
> * Have an API to activate or update a given resource with total resource
>   count. I'd much prefer the resource list to be in the controller itself
>   rather than being through some dynamic API just so that there is some
>   review in what keys get added.
>
> * Top level cgroup lists which resource is active and how many are
>   available.

Sounds good, we can have a single top level stat file

misc.stat
  Shows how many are supported on the host:
  $ cat misc.stat
  sev 500
  sev_es 10

If total value of some resource is 0 then it will be considered inactive and
won't show in misc.{stat, current, max}

We discussed earlier, instead of having "stat" file we should show
"current" and "capacity" files in the root but I think we can just have stat
at top showing total resources to keep it consistent with other cgroup
files.

Thanks
Vipin