Date:   Mon, 15 Feb 2021 10:03:54 -0500 (EST)
From:   Mikulas Patocka <mpatocka@...hat.com>
To:     Alexander Viro <viro@...iv.linux.org.uk>,
        Matthew Wilcox <willy@...radead.org>,
        Zhongwei Cai <sunrise_l@...u.edu.cn>,
        Mingkai Dong <mingkaidong@...il.com>,
        Dan Williams <dan.j.williams@...el.com>,
        Vishal Verma <vishal.l.verma@...el.com>,
        Dave Jiang <dave.jiang@...el.com>
cc:     Andrew Morton <akpm@...ux-foundation.org>, Jan Kara <jack@...e.cz>,
        Dave Chinner <david@...morbit.com>,
        "Theodore Ts'o" <tytso@....edu>,
        David Laight <David.Laight@...lab.com>,
        Steven Whitehouse <swhiteho@...hat.com>,
        Eric Sandeen <esandeen@...hat.com>,
        Wang Jianchao <jianchao.wan9@...il.com>,
        Rajesh Tadakamadla <rajesh.tadakamadla@....com>,
        linux-nvdimm <linux-nvdimm@...ts.01.org>
Subject: [RFC v3] nvfs: a filesystem for persistent memory

Hi

I announce a new version of NVFS - a filesystem for persistent memory.
        http://people.redhat.com/~mpatocka/nvfs/
        git://leontynka.twibright.com/nvfs.git

Changes since the last release:

I reworked file read/write handling:

* the functions nvfs_read and nvfs_write were deleted beacause it's
  unlikely that the upstream kernel will allow them.

* the functions nvfs_read_iter and nvfs_write_iter have a fast path if
  there is just one segment in iov_iter - they will call nvfs_read_locked
  and nvfs_write_locked directly. This improves performance by 3% on the
  read path and 1% on the write path.

* read_iter_locked uses copy_to_iter as suggested by Al Viro.

* write_iter_locked doesn't use copy_from_iter_flushcache, because we need
  copy that doesn't advance the iter (the "copy" and "advance" must be two
  separate operations). So, I added new operations "iov_iter_map" and
  "iov_iter_unmap" - iov_iter_map will map the first segment of iov and
  iov_iter_unmap will unmap it.

Do you think that introducing "iov_iter_map" and "iov_iter_unmap" is
appropriate? Do you have some other idea how to handle it?

Mikukas