Date:   Thu, 25 Feb 2021 12:28:18 -0800
From:   Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>
To:     Thierry Reding <thierry.reding@...il.com>
Cc:     Uwe Kleine-König
        <u.kleine-koenig@...gutronix.de>, Lee Jones <lee.jones@...aro.org>,
        linux-pwm@...r.kernel.org,
Subject: Re: [GIT PULL] pwm: Changes for v5.12-rc1

On Thu, Feb 25, 2021 at 11:34 AM Thierry Reding
<thierry.reding@...il.com> wrote:

> As I was generating the pull request I noticed that I forgot to fast-
> forward this to v5.11-rc1 after the last merge window.

Honestly, there is very little reason to ever do the fast-forward if
the new development doesn't depend on new features, and I have
absolutely no issues pulling something like this that is simply just a
continuation of a previous development tree.

So you did the right thing in not re-basing, this looks fine to me.

Obviously, every once in a while a development tree would want to
update to a newer base, just because of various infrastructure changes
that could otherwise cause semantic conflicts etc if you end up basing
stuff on something _truly_ ancient.  But a release or two? No problem
at all.