Date:   Mon, 29 Mar 2021 11:05:13 -0700
From:   Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>
To:     Guenter Roeck <linux@...ck-us.net>, Rob Herring <robh@...nel.org>
Subject: Re: Linux 5.12-rc5

On Sun, Mar 28, 2021 at 7:07 PM Guenter Roeck <linux@...ck-us.net> wrote:

> This is not really a new problem. I enabled devicetree unit tests
> in the openrisc kernel and was rewarded with a crash.
> https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20210327224116.69309-1-linux@roeck-us.net/
> has all the glorious details.

Hmm.

I'm not sure I love that patch.

I don't think the patch is _wrong_ per se, but if that "require 8 byte
alignment" is a problem, then this seems to be papering over the issue
rather than fixing it.

So your patch protects from a NULL pointer dereference, but the
underlying issue seems to be a regression, and the fix sounds like the
kernel shouldn't be so strict about alignment requirements.

I guess we could make ARCH_SLAB_MINALIGN be at least 8 (perhaps only
if the allocations is >= 8) but honestly, I don't think libfdt merits
making such a big change. Small allocations are actually not uncommon
in the kernel, and on 32-bit architectures I think 4-byte allocations
are normal.

So I'd be inclined to just remove the new

        /* The device tree must be at an 8-byte aligned address */
        if ((uintptr_t)fdt & 7)
                return -FDT_ERR_ALIGNMENT;

check in scripts/dtc/libfdt/fdt.c which I assume is the source of the
problem. Rob?

Your patch to then avoid the NULL pointer dereference seems to be then
an additional safety, but not fixing the actual regression.