Date:   Tue, 30 Mar 2021 06:56:50 +0000
From:   Dexuan Cui <decui@...rosoft.com>
To:     Eric Biggers <ebiggers@...nel.org>
CC:     "linux-crypto@...r.kernel.org" <linux-crypto@...r.kernel.org>,
Subject: RE: v5.12.0-rc5: the kernel panics if FIPS mode is on

Hi Eric,
Thanks for the explanation! Yes, that's it!

Sorry for the false alarm! Actually the kernel is faultless here.

> Are you sure that anything changed on the kernel side
> besides the kconfig you are using? It looks like this was always the behavior
> when tcrypt.ko is used to test a non-existing algorithm.

After I rebuilt the kernel with the 3 options:
CONFIG_CRYPTO_OFB=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_DEV_PADLOCK_AES=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_ANSI_CPRNG=y

and generated the .hmac file:
sha512hmac /boot/vmlinuz-5.12.0-rc5+  > /boot/.vmlinuz-5.12.0-rc5+.hmac

now the kernel boots up successfully with fips=1. :-)

> Is your userspace code intentionally trying to test "ofb(aes)", or is it
> accidental?
>
> - Eric

I'm not sure. This is a CentOS 8.3 VM, and I use the default configuration.
I have been trying to build & run a v5.12.0-rc5+ kernel with fips=1, and
now this is working for me, thanks to your explanation. Thanks again!

Thanks,
-- Dexuan