Date:   Sat, 10 Apr 2021 20:30:36 -0400 (EDT)
From:   Mathieu Desnoyers <mathieu.desnoyers@...icios.com>
To:     Mingyi Liu <mingyiliu@...ech.edu>
Cc:     linux-kernel <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
        Peter Zijlstra <peterz@...radead.org>,
        paulmck <paulmck@...nel.org>, Boqun Feng <boqun.feng@...il.com>
Subject: Re: about seg fault inside rseq critical section

----- On Apr 10, 2021, at 6:49 PM, Mingyi Liu mingyiliu@...ech.edu wrote:

> Hi Mathieu ,

> Thanks for your reply. From my current understanding of rseq, when flags
> enabled, any signal generated/happened inside the critical section would
> trigger the user-defined abort handler.

No, that's not how rseq works.

If a signal handler is executed on top of a rseq critical section, it will be allowed
to run on top of the userspace thread, but the instruction pointer where the signal
handler will return is modified by the kernel when it detects that it delivers a signal
on top of a rseq critical section so the signal handler will return to the abort ip.

See rseq_signal_deliver() for details.

Thanks,

Mathieu

--