Date:   Mon, 24 May 2021 18:02:25 -0700
From:   Andi Kleen <ak@...ux.intel.com>
To:     Dan Williams <dan.j.williams@...el.com>,
        "Kuppuswamy, Sathyanarayanan"
        <sathyanarayanan.kuppuswamy@...ux.intel.com>
Cc:     Peter Zijlstra <peterz@...radead.org>,
        Andy Lutomirski <luto@...nel.org>,
        Dave Hansen <dave.hansen@...el.com>,
        Tony Luck <tony.luck@...el.com>,
        Kirill Shutemov <kirill.shutemov@...ux.intel.com>,
        Kuppuswamy Sathyanarayanan <knsathya@...nel.org>,
        Raj Ashok <ashok.raj@...el.com>,
        Sean Christopherson <seanjc@...gle.com>,
Subject: Re: [RFC v2-fix-v2 2/2] x86/tdx: Ignore WBINVD instruction for TDX
 guest

> That makes KVM also broken for the cases where wbinvd is needed,

Or maybe your analysis is wrong?

> but
> it does not make the description of this patch correct.

If KVM was broken I'm sure we would hear about it.

The ACPI cases are for S3, which is not supported in guests, or for the
old style manual IO port C6, which isn't supported either.

The persistent memory cases would require working DMA mappings, which we
currently don't support. If DMA mappings were added we would need to
para virtualized WBINVD, like the comments say.

AFAIK all the rest is for some caching attribute change, which is not
possible in KVM (because it uses EPT.IgnorePAT=1) nor in TDX (which does
the same). Some are for MTRR which is completely disabled if you're
running under EPT.

-Andi