Date:   Fri, 28 May 2021 18:32:19 +0200
From:   Maxime Ripard <maxime@...no.tech>
To:     Florian Fainelli <f.fainelli@...il.com>
Cc:     Doug Berger <opendmb@...il.com>,
        bcm-kernel-feedback-list@...adcom.com,
        linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, netdev@...r.kernel.org,
        Nicolas Saenz Julienne <nsaenz@...nel.org>
Subject: Re: Kernel Panic in skb_release_data using genet

hi Florian,

On Fri, May 28, 2021 at 09:21:27AM -0700, Florian Fainelli wrote:
> On 5/24/21 8:37 AM, Florian Fainelli wrote:
> >

> > On 5/24/2021 8:13 AM, Maxime Ripard wrote:
> >> Hi Florian,

> >> I've had this issue for over a year and never (I think?) got a good
> >> version, so while it might be a regression, it's not a recent one.
> >
> > OK, this helps and does not really help.

> >> I'm not really sure about the clocking. Is there any clock you want to
> >> look at in particular?
> >
> > ARM, DDR, AXI, anything that could cause some memory corruption to occur
> > essentially. GENET clocks are fairly fixed, you have a 250MHz clock and
> > a 125MHz clock feeding the data path.
> >

> >> My setup is fairly simple: the firmware and kernel are loaded over TFTP
> >> and the rootfs is mounted over NFS, and the crash always occur around
> >> init start, so I guess when it actually starts to transmit a decent
> >> amount of data?
> >
> > Do you reproduce this problem with KASAN disabled, do you eventually
> > have a crash pointing back to the same location?
> >
> > I have a suspicion that this is all Pi4 specific because we regularly
> > run the GENET driver through various kernel versions (4.9, 5.4 and 5.10
> > and mainline) and did not run into that.
>
> I have not had time to get a set-up to reproduce what you are seeing,
> could you share your .config meanwhile? Thanks

Sorry, I didn't have the time to check how the clock were behaving.

You'll find attached my config.txt file and .config

I'm booting the board entirely from TFTP (which might introduce some
issues in the "handoff" from the bootloader to the kernel), you'll find
some guide there:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/hardware/raspberrypi/bootmodes/net_tutorial.md

Maxime

View attachment "config-mainline" of type "text/plain" (199478 bytes)

View attachment "config.txt" of type "text/plain" (1498 bytes)

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (229 bytes)