Date:   Wed, 2 Jun 2021 01:33:22 +0000
From:   "Tian, Kevin" <kevin.tian@...el.com>
To:     Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@...dia.com>
CC:     LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
        Joerg Roedel <joro@...tes.org>,
        "Lu Baolu" <baolu.lu@...ux.intel.com>,
        David Woodhouse <dwmw2@...radead.org>,
        "iommu@...ts.linux-foundation.org" <iommu@...ts.linux-foundation.org>,
        "kvm@...r.kernel.org" <kvm@...r.kernel.org>,
        "Alex Williamson (alex.williamson@...hat.com)"
        <alex.williamson@...hat.com>, Jason Wang <jasowang@...hat.com>,
        Eric Auger <eric.auger@...hat.com>,
        Jonathan Corbet <corbet@....net>,
        "Raj, Ashok" <ashok.raj@...el.com>,
        "Liu, Yi L" <yi.l.liu@...el.com>, "Wu, Hao" <hao.wu@...el.com>,
        "Jiang, Dave" <dave.jiang@...el.com>,
        Jacob Pan <jacob.jun.pan@...ux.intel.com>,
        Jean-Philippe Brucker <jean-philippe@...aro.org>,
        David Gibson <david@...son.dropbear.id.au>,
        Kirti Wankhede <kwankhede@...dia.com>,
        "Robin Murphy" <robin.murphy@....com>
Subject: RE: [RFC] /dev/ioasid uAPI proposal

only for software nesting. With hardware support the parent uses map
while the child uses bind.

Yes, the policy is specified per IOASID. But if the policy violates the
requirement in a specific nesting mode, then nesting should fail.

> A software emulated two level page table where the leaf level is a
> bound page table in guest memory should continue to use
> bind/invalidate to maintain the guest page table IOASID even though it
> is a SW construct.

with software nesting the leaf should be a host-managed page table
(or metadata). A bind/invalidate protocol doesn't require the user
to notify the kernel of every page table change. But for software nesting
the kernel must know every change to timely update the shadow/merged
mapping, otherwise DMA may hit stale mapping.

> The GPA level should use map/unmap because it is a kernel owned page
> table

yes, this is always true.

> Though how to efficiently mix map/unmap on the GPA when there are SW
> nested levels below it looks to be quite challenging.

Thanks
Kevin