Date:   Fri, 4 Jun 2021 10:03:08 +0800
From:   Shenming Lu <lushenming@...wei.com>
To:     Jacob Pan <jacob.jun.pan@...ux.intel.com>
        Robin Murphy <robin.murphy@....com>,
        Zenghui Yu <yuzenghui@...wei.com>,
        "wanghaibin.wang@...wei.com" <wanghaibin.wang@...wei.com>
Subject: Re: [RFC] /dev/ioasid uAPI proposal

On 2021/6/4 2:19, Jacob Pan wrote:
> Hi Shenming,
>
> On Wed, 2 Jun 2021 12:50:26 +0800, Shenming Lu <lushenming@...wei.com>
> wrote:

>>> I'm still confused why drivers need fault handlers at all?
>>
>> Essentially it is the userspace that needs the fault handlers,
>> one case is to deliver the faults to the vIOMMU, and another
>> case is to enable IOPF on the GPA address space for on-demand
>> paging, it seems that both could be specified in/through the
>> IOASID_ALLOC ioctl?
>>
> I would think IOASID_BIND_PGTABLE is where fault handler should be
> registered. There wouldn't be any IO page fault without the binding anyway.

Yeah, I also proposed this before, registering the handler in the BIND_PGTABLE
ioctl does make sense for the guest page faults. :-)

But how about the page faults from the GPA address space (it's page table is
mapped through the MAP_DMA ioctl)? From your point of view, it seems that we
should register the handler for the GPA address space in the (first) MAP_DMA
ioctl.

> I also don't understand why device drivers should register the fault
> handler, the fault is detected by the pIOMMU and injected to the vIOMMU. So
> I think it should be the IOASID itself register the handler.

Yeah, and it can also be said that the provider of the page table registers the
handler (Baolu).

Thanks,
Shenming