Date:   Thu, 10 Jun 2021 08:33:46 -0700
From:   Jack Pham <jackp@...eaurora.org>
To:     Felipe Balbi <balbi@...nel.org>,
        Sandeep Maheswaram <sanm@...eaurora.org>
Cc:     Alexandru Elisei <alexandru.elisei@....com>,
        p.zabel@...gutronix.de, linux-usb@...r.kernel.org,
        arm-mail-list <linux-arm-kernel@...ts.infradead.org>,
        linux-arm-msm@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [BUG] usb: dwc3: Kernel NULL pointer dereference in dwc3_remove()

On Thu, Jun 10, 2021 at 01:11:42PM +0300, Felipe Balbi wrote:
> Jack Pham <jackp@...eaurora.org> writes:

> >> no, I  don't think so. That sounds like a workaround. We should be able
> >> to guarantee that ->remove() doesn't get called twice using the driver
> >> model properly.
> >
> > Completely fair.  So then having a .shutdown callback that directly calls
> > dwc3_remove() is probably not the right thing to do as it completely
> > bypasses the driver model so if and when the driver core does later
> > release the device from the driver that's how we end up with the double
> > remove.
>
> yeah, I would agree with that.

> >> I don't know what the idiomatic is nowadays, but at least early on, we
> >> had to call depopulate.
> >
> > So any suggestions on how to fix the original issue Sandeep was trying
> > to fix with 568262bf5492? Maybe implement .shutdown in dwc3_qcom and have
> > it follow what dwc3_of_simple does with of_platform_depopulate()? But
> > then wouldn't other "glues" want/need to follow suit?
>
> I think we can implement shutdown in core, but we need to careful with
> it. Instead of just blindly calling remove, let's extract the common
> parts to another internal function that both remove and shutdown
> call. debugfs removal should not be part of that generic method :-)

Hi Sandeep,

Upon re-reading your description in 568262bf5492 it sounds like the
original intention of your patch is basically to quiesce the HW so that
it doesn't continue to run after SMMU/IOMMU is disabled right?

If that is the case, couldn't we simply call only dwc3_core_exit_mode()
assuming there is no other requirement to do any other cleanup/teardown
(PHYs, clocks, resets, runtime PM, et al)? This function should do the
bare minimum of stopping the controller in whatever mode (host or
peripheral) it is currently operating in.

> Anything in that generic method should, probably, be idempotent.

Yes we'll need to ensure that dwc3_core_exit_mode() can be called
multiple times without additional side effects. At first glance this
probably means setting dwc->xhci and dwc->gadget to NULL from
dwc3_host_exit() and dwc3_gadget_exit(), respectively.

Thanks,
Jack
--
The Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. is a member of Code Aurora Forum,
a Linux Foundation Collaborative Project