Date:   Wed, 23 Jun 2021 22:39:25 +0200
From:   Pavel Machek <pavel@....cz>
To:     Hans de Goede <hdegoede@...hat.com>
Cc:     Jafar Akhondali <gigelaknak@...il.com>,
        Andy Shevchenko <andy.shevchenko@...il.com>,
        Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab+huawei@...nel.org>,
        mauro.chehab@...wei.com,
        Linux LED Subsystem <linux-leds@...r.kernel.org>,
Subject: Re: LEDs with hardware-accelerated patterns, suspend indication

Hi!

> > Sorry for the late reply.
> > there are two categories of keyboard lighting modes:
> > 1. static
> > 2. dynamic
> >
> > In static mode, any of 4 zones can be configured to show specific color,
> > independently.
> >
> > In dynamic mode, there is no control over specific zones.
> > It's only possible to set some: color, speed, direction
> > and: [R]ed,[G]reen, [B]lue
> >
> > so in dynamic mode, the user can't control zones,
> > the dynamic effects take care of that.
>
> So we have 4 zones, which are individual controllable, so which should
> probably be modeled as individual LED class devices. But when we enable
> the hardware effects, then the individual addressing goes away and we
> set one effect which applies to all zones.
>
> Jafar, do I understand this correctly?
>
> Pavel, how should this be mapped to the led-class API?

Fun :-).

> Some ideas:
>
> a) Only add the new lpattern to the main zone?
> 2) Add the new lpattern to all zones, but only make it
> writable in the main zone ?

Require lpattern in all zones to be same and active before actually
enabling the pattern?

Decide lpattern is not suitable for this and figure out what to with
multi-LED triggers? Someone wanted them for "meters" (CPU load 25% 50%
75% 100% LED bar)...

Skip this hardware feature for now. We don't have to support
everything?

Best regards,
							Pavel
--
http://www.livejournal.com/~pavelmachek

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (182 bytes)