Date:   Thu, 24 Jun 2021 15:29:13 +0200
From:   Greg KH <gregkh@...uxfoundation.org>
To:     Krzysztof Hałasa <khalasa@...p.pl>
Cc:     Laurent Pinchart <laurent.pinchart@...asonboard.com>,
        Kieran Bingham <kieran.bingham@...asonboard.com>,
        Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab@...nel.org>,
        linux-media@...r.kernel.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [RFC v2] MEDIA: Driver for ON Semi AR0521 camera sensor

On Thu, Jun 24, 2021 at 03:22:48PM +0200, Krzysztof Hałasa wrote:
> Hi Greg,
>
> Greg KH <gregkh@...uxfoundation.org> writes:
>
> > +// SPDX-License-Identifier: GPL-2.0
>
> > Putting the above line on a file _IS_ a legal declaration that the file
> > is released under GPL-2.0.  It's pretty simple :)
>
> Do you think putting this line anywhere, in any file, does it?

Yes.

> That would be crazy.

Nope, that's how license declarations work.  Please discuss this with a
lawyer if you are confused.

> How about a book, e.g. describing a patch submission process (but not
> a copy of kernel's Documentation). The same?

That does not make sense, please explain.

> Also - in all countries? Most of them?

Yes.

> Come on.
>
> Then why would we need the Signed-off-by?

S-o-b is a DIFFERENT thing entirely.   Please go read the DCO for what
you are agreeing to there, it is a declaration for what you are doing.

> From my perspective, the SPDX-License-Identifier is only meaningful when
> the file is actually a part of the kernel, or if, at least, it's been
> presented for merge, with Signed-off-by etc.

Not true at all, sorry.  Same for a Copyright line.  Again, if you have
questions about this, please contact your company lawyer, they will be
glad to explain it in detail to you.

greg k-h