Date:   Tue, 10 Aug 2021 00:02:55 -0700
From:   "Darrick J. Wong" <djwong@...nel.org>
To:     Konstantin Komarov <almaz.alexandrovich@...agon-software.com>
Cc:     Theodore Ts'o <tytso@....edu>,
        Matthew Wilcox <willy@...radead.org>,
        "Leonidas P. Papadakos" <papadakospan@...il.com>,
        "zajec5@...il.com" <zajec5@...il.com>,
        Hans de Goede <hdegoede@...hat.com>,
        Al Viro <viro@...iv.linux.org.uk>
Subject: Re: [GIT PULL] vboxsf fixes for 5.14-1

On Thu, Aug 05, 2021 at 03:48:36PM +0000, Konstantin Komarov wrote:
> [...]

Sounds comparable to my setup, which has these tiers:

fstests -g quick (~45 minutes) on fast ssds
fstests -g all (~3 hours) on fast ssds
fstests -g all (~12 hours) on slow(er) cheap(er) cloud storage
fstests -g long_soak (~7 days) on aging ssds

(There's also the fifth tier which is spawning dozens of VMs to fuzz
test, but I don't have enough spare time to run that and triage the
results on a regular basis.)

> As for suites we are using - it is the mix of open/well known suites:
> - xfstests, ltp, pjd suite, fsx, dirstress, fstorture - those are of known utilites/suites
> And number of internal autotests which were developed for covering various parts of
> fs specs, regression autotests which are introduced to the infrastructure after bugfixes
> and autotests written to test the driver operation on various data sets.
>
> This approach is settled in Paragon for years, and ntfs3, from the first line of code written,
> is being developed this way. You may refer the artifacts linked below, where the progress/coverage
> during the last year is spoken by autotest results:
>
> the 27th patch-series code (July'2021):
> https://dl.paragon-software.com/ntfs3/p27_tests.tar
> 25th (March'2021):
> https://dl.paragon-software.com/ntfs3/p25_tests.tar
> 2nd (August, 2020):
> https://dl.paragon-software.com/ntfs3/p2_tests.tar
>
> Those are results on ntfs3 ran within the 'linux-next' (the most recent one given the tests start date)
> As may be observed, we never skipped the "tests day" :)
>
> There is a note should be provided on xfstests specifically. We have been using this suite
> as a part of our autotests for several years already. However the suite originate for Linux
> native file systems and a lot of cases are not applicable to the NTFS. This is one of the reasons
> why some of "red-flag" failures are there (e.g. generic/475) - they were excluded at some point of time
> and we've missed to enable it back when it was the time :)

generic/019, generic/317, generic/476 (and generic/521 and 522) are
supposed to be stress exercisers of standard functionality (read, write,
mkdir, creat, unlink) which means they ought to pass on any filesystem.

Hmm, we /dont/ have a tag for these generic exercisers.  Maybe we
should, I'll think about that.

(FWIW a minor correction: I meant to reference generic/476 and not 475,
because 475 is a looping test of crash recovery.  475 is notorious for
intermittent failures even on ext4/btrfs/xfs.)

> Thank you all for this effort to run and look closer on our code, on the next patchset, the
> 91, 317 and 475 should be resolved. And now we are looking up to other excluded tests to find out more of such.

Ok, thank you!

> Hope this will resolve some of your concerns.

It does. :)

--D