Date:   Tue, 10 Aug 2021 16:05:01 +0200 (CEST)
From:   blinkin@...il.it
To:     Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>
Cc:     linux-kernel <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: Bug report for kernel v4.15-rc8+

The general symptom is a slow and unresponsive system (e.g. on gnome there's a delay before displaying typed characters, up to 3-5 seconds. Animations are jittering, mouse clicks sometimes are missed).
3D games are now impossible to play due to poor performance.
System feels as if the CPU is always busy (htop shows one core at ~ 90% most of the time both with and without the workaround, not sure it's correlated)

PC is an Asus AsusPro P2350UJ, Intel i7 6500U/BGA CPU with dual graphics (Integrated Intel 520 and dedicated Nvidia GeForce 920M) and 16GB DDR4 RAM.
specs page: https://www.asus.com/me-en/Commercial-Laptops/ASUSPRO-P2530UJ/specifications/
It's running OpenSuse Leap 15.2 (the bug came out when upgrading from 15.1, thus going from kernel 4.12 to 5.3)
I suspect the same bug is responsible for making me switch to suse after failing to upgrade debian from 9 (kernel 4.9) to 10 (kernel 4.19)

The workaround is to pass irqaffinity=0 on boot.

Attached: dmesg output with and without the irqaffinity parameter, lspci output, /proc/cpuinfo contents.

Let me know what else is needed.

Thanks,

M.