Date:   Mon, 6 Sep 2021 13:51:26 +0200
From:   Paul Menzel <pmenzel@...gen.mpg.de>
To:     "Rafael J. Wysocki" <rafael.j.wysocki@...el.com>,
        Len Brown <lenb@...nel.org>
Cc:     linux-acpi@...r.kernel.org, LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: New warning: PRMT not found

Dear Rafael, dear Len,

Intel’s MTA rejects Erik’s address:

     <erik.kaneda@...el.com>: host mga17.intel.com[192.55.52.151] said:
550 #5.1.0
         Address rejected. (in reply to RCPT TO command)

So, I assume Erik left Intel.

Am 26.07.21 um 09:42 schrieb Paul Menzel:
> Dear Erik,
>

> The new code added in commit cefc7ca462 (ACPI: PRM: implement
> OperationRegion handler for the PlatformRtMechanism subtype) causes
> Linux to log a warning on my desktop system Asus F2A85-M PRO.
>
>      PRMT not found
>
> The help text for the Kconfig option `ACPI_PRMT` suggests it’s mainly
> used for server systems, so the warning does not apply to a lot of
> systems. Therefore, in my opinion, the option should not be selected by
> default, or the warning be removed or demoted, and phrased in a way,
> that users can understand the consequences.

The new warning shows up on a lot of systems, with no indication what to
do about it or why Linux actually warns about it.

Should the message be removed entirely? Or is there another indicator
for systems where absent PRMT causes problems, so should be warned about?

Kind regards,

Paul