Date:   Fri, 10 Sep 2021 09:48:55 -0400
From:   Dan Lustig <dlustig@...dia.com>
To:     Boqun Feng <boqun.feng@...il.com>,
        Peter Zijlstra <peterz@...radead.org>
CC:     Will Deacon <will@...nel.org>,
        Alan Stern <stern@...land.harvard.edu>,
        Alexander Shishkin <alexander.shishkin@...ux.intel.com>,
        Peter Anvin <hpa@...or.com>,
        Andrea Parri <parri.andrea@...il.com>,
        Ingo Molnar <mingo@...nel.org>,
        "Paul E. McKenney" <paulmck@...nel.org>,
        Vince Weaver <vincent.weaver@...ne.edu>,
        Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>,
        Jiri Olsa <jolsa@...hat.com>,
        Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo <acme@...hat.com>,
        Stephane Eranian <eranian@...gle.com>,
        <linux-tip-commits@...r.kernel.org>, <palmer@...belt.com>,
        <paul.walmsley@...ive.com>, <mpe@...erman.id.au>
Subject: Re: [tip:locking/core] tools/memory-model: Add extra ordering for
 locks and remove it for ordinary release/acquire

On 9/10/2021 6:04 AM, Boqun Feng wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 10, 2021 at 11:33:25AM +0200, Peter Zijlstra wrote:

>>> Just out of curiosity, in the following code, can the store S and load L
>>> be reordered?
>>>
>>> 	WRITE_ONCE(x, 1); // store S
>>> 	FENCE RW, W
>>>  	WRITE_ONCE(s.lock, 0); // unlock(s)
>>>  	AMOSWAP %0, 1, s.lock  // lock(s)
>>> 	FENCE R, RW
>>> 	r1 = READ_ONCE(y); // load L
>>>
>>> I think they can, because neither "FENCE RW, W" nor "FENCE R, RW" order
>>> them.
>>
>> I'm confused by your argument, per the above quoted section, those
>> fences and the AMO combine into a RW,RW ordering which is (as per the
>> later clarification) multi-copy-atomic, aka smp_mb().
>>

> Right, my question is more about the reasoning about why fence rw,w +
> AMO + fence r,rw act as a fence rw,rw.

Is this a RISC-V question?  If so, it's as simple as:
1) S and anything earlier are ordered before the AMO by the first fence
2) L and anything later are ordered after the AMO by the second fence
3) 1 + 2 = S and anything earlier are ordered before L or anything later

Since RISC-V is multi-copy atomic, so 1+2 just naturally compose
transitively.

> Another related question, can
> fence rw,w + store + fence w,rw act as a fence rw,rw by the similar
> reasoning? IOW, will the two loads in the following be reordered?
>
> 	r1 = READ_ONCE(x);
> 	FENCE RW, W
> 	WRITE_ONCE(z, 1);
> 	FENCE W, RW
> 	r2 = READ_ONCE(y);
>
> again, this is more like a question out of curiosity, not that I find
> this pattern is useful.

Does FENCE W,RW appear in some actual use case?  But yes, if it does
appear, this sequence would also act as a FENCE RW,RW on RISC-V.

Dan