Date:   Wed, 22 Sep 2021 03:22:42 +0000
From:   "Tian, Kevin" <kevin.tian@...el.com>
To:     Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@...dia.com>
        "baolu.lu@...ux.intel.com" <baolu.lu@...ux.intel.com>,
        "david@...son.dropbear.id.au" <david@...son.dropbear.id.au>,
        "nicolinc@...dia.com" <nicolinc@...dia.com>
Subject: RE: [RFC 02/20] vfio: Add device class for /dev/vfio/devices

After reading your comments on patch08, I may have a clearer picture
on your suggestion. The key is to handle exclusive access at the binding
time (based on vdev->iommu_dev). Please see whether below makes
sense:

Shared sequence:

1)  initialize the device with a parked fops;
2)  need binding (explicit or implicit) to move away from parked fops;
3)  switch to normal fops after successful binding;

1) happens at device probe.

for nongroup 2) and 3) are done together in VFIO_DEVICE_GET_IOMMUFD:

  - 2) is done by calling .bind_iommufd() callback;
  - 3) could be done within .bind_iommufd(), or via a new callback e.g.
    .finalize_device(). The latter may be preferred for the group interface;
  - Two threads may open the same device simultaneously, with exclusive
    access guaranteed by iommufd_bind_device();
  - Open() after successful binding is rejected, since normal fops has been
    activated. This is checked upon vdev->iommu_dev;

for group 2/3) are done together in VFIO_GROUP_GET_DEVICE_FD:

  - 2) is done by open coding bind_iommufd + attach_ioas. Create an
    iommufd_device object and record it to vdev->iommu_dev
  - 3) is done by calling .finalize_device();
  - open() after a valid vdev->iommu_dev is rejected. this also ensures
    exclusive ownership with the nongroup path.

If Alex also agrees with it, this might be another mini-series to be merged
(just for group path) before this one. Doing so sort of nullifies the existing
group/container attaching process, where attach_ioas will be skipped and
now the security context is established when the device is opened.

Thanks
Kevin