Date:   Wed, 22 Sep 2021 22:34:42 +0000
From:   "Tian, Kevin" <kevin.tian@...el.com>
To:     Alex Williamson <alex.williamson@...hat.com>,
        "baolu.lu@...ux.intel.com" <baolu.lu@...ux.intel.com>,
        "david@...son.dropbear.id.au" <david@...son.dropbear.id.au>,
        "nicolinc@...dia.com" <nicolinc@...dia.com>
Subject: RE: [RFC 03/20] vfio: Add vfio_[un]register_device()

Now it's a try-and-fail model even for devices which support iommufd.
Per Jason's suggestion, a device is always opened with a parked fops
which supports only bind. Binding serves as the contract for handling
exclusive ownership on a device and switching to normal fops if
succeed. So the user has to try-and-fail in case multiple threads attempt
to open a same device. Device which doesn't support iommufd is not
different, except binding request 100% fails (due to missing .bind_iommufd
in kernel driver).

Thanks
Kevin