Date:   Wed, 22 Sep 2021 09:23:34 +0000
From:   "Tian, Kevin" <kevin.tian@...el.com>
To:     Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@...dia.com>
        "iommu@...ts.linux-foundation.org" <iommu@...ts.linux-foundation.org>,
        "dwmw2@...radead.org" <dwmw2@...radead.org>,
        "baolu.lu@...ux.intel.com" <baolu.lu@...ux.intel.com>,
        "david@...son.dropbear.id.au" <david@...son.dropbear.id.au>,
        "nicolinc@...dia.com" <nicolinc@...dia.com>
Subject: RE: [RFC 03/20] vfio: Add vfio_[un]register_device()

After another thought this should work. Following your comments in
other places, we'll move the handling of BIND_IOMMUFD to vfio core
which then invoke .bind_iommufd() from the driver. For devices which
don't allow iommufd now, the callback is null thus an error is returned.

This leaves the userspace in a try-and-fail mode. It first opens the device
fd and iommufd, and then try to connect the two together. If failed then
fallback to the legacy group interface.

Then we don't need a) at all. and we can even avoid introducing new
vfio_[un]register_device() at this point. Just leverage existing
vfio_[un]register_group_dev() to cover b). new helpers can be introduced
later when c) is supported.

> Providing an ioctl to bind to a normal VFIO container or group might
> allow a reasonable fallback in userspace..

I didn't get this point though. An error in binding already allows the
user to fall back to the group path. Why do we need introduce another
ioctl to explicitly bind to container via the nongroup interface?

Thanks
Kevin