Date:   Wed, 29 Sep 2021 12:37:19 -0700
From:   Jacob Pan <jacob.jun.pan@...ux.intel.com>
To:     iommu@...ts.linux-foundation.org,
        LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
        Joerg Roedel <joro@...tes.org>,
        Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@...dia.com>,
        "Christoph Hellwig" <hch@...radead.org>
Cc:     "Tian, Kevin" <kevin.tian@...el.com>,
        Tony Luck <tony.luck@...el.com>,
        Dave Jiang <dave.jiang@...el.com>,
        Raj Ashok <ashok.raj@...el.com>,
        "Kumar, Sanjay K" <sanjay.k.kumar@...el.com>,
        mike.campin@...el.com, jacob.jun.pan@...ux.intel.com,
        Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>
Subject: Re: [RFC 0/7] Support in-kernel DMA with PASID and SVA

Hi,

Just to follow up on what we discussed during LPC VFIO/IOMMU/PCI MC.
https://linuxplumbersconf.org/event/11/contributions/1021/
The key takeaways are:
1. Addressing mode selections (PA, IOVA, and KVA) should be a policy
decision *not* to be made by device drivers. This implies that it is up to
the platform code or user (via some sysfs knobs) to decide what is the best
for each device. Drivers should not be aware of what addressing modes is
returned by DMA API.

2. DMA APIs can be extended to support DMA request with PASID.

3. Performance benefit of using KVA (shared) should be demonstrated. Though
the saving of IOTLB flush over IOVA is conceivable.

#1 could be done in platform IOMMU code when devices are attached to their
default domains. E.g. if the device is trusted, it can operate at shared
KVA mode.

For #2, it seems we can store the kernel PASID in struct device. This will
preserve the DMA API interface while making it PASID capable. Essentially,
each PASID capable device would have two special global PASIDs:
	- PASID 0 for DMA request w/o PASID, aka RID2PASID
	- PASID 1 (randomly selected) for in-kernel DMA request w/ PASID

Both PASID 0 and 1 will always point to the same page table. I.e. same
addressing mode, IOVA or KVA.

For devices does not support PASID, there is no change. For devices can do
both DMA w/ and w/o PASID, the IOTLB invalidation would include both PASIDs.

By embedding PASID in struct device, it also avoided changes in upper level
APIs. DMA engine API can continue to give out channels without knowing
whether PASID is used or not. The accelerator drivers that does work
submission can retrieve PASID from struct device.

Thoughts?

Thanks for the review and feedback at LPC!

Jacob

Jacob