Date:   Wed, 29 Sep 2021 08:48:28 +0000
From:   "Tian, Kevin" <kevin.tian@...el.com>
To:     Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@...dia.com>,
        "dwmw2@...radead.org" <dwmw2@...radead.org>,
        "baolu.lu@...ux.intel.com" <baolu.lu@...ux.intel.com>,
        "david@...son.dropbear.id.au" <david@...son.dropbear.id.au>,
        "nicolinc@...dia.com" <nicolinc@...dia.com>
Subject: RE: [RFC 10/20] iommu/iommufd: Add IOMMU_DEVICE_GET_INFO

+Robin.

I still didn't fully understand this point after reading the code. Looking
at dma-iommu its cache flush functions are all coded with below as
the first check:

        if (dev_is_dma_coherent(dev) && !dev_is_untrusted(dev))
                return;

dev->dma_coherent is initialized upon firmware info, not decided by
IOMMU_CACHE.

i.e. it's not IOMMU_CACHE to decide whether cache flushes should
be called.

Probably the confusion comes from __iommu_dma_alloc_noncontiguous:

        if (!(ioprot & IOMMU_CACHE)) {
                struct scatterlist *sg;
                int i;

                for_each_sg(sgt->sgl, sg, sgt->orig_nents, i)
                        arch_dma_prep_coherent(sg_page(sg), sg->length);
        }

Here it makes more sense to be if (!coherent) {}.

with above being corrected, I think all iommu drivers do associate
IOMMU_CACHE to the snoop aspect:

Intel:
    - either force snooping by ignoring snoop bit in TLP (IOMMU_CACHE)
    - or has snoop decided by TLP (!IOMMU_CACHE)

ARM:
    - set to snoop format if IOMMU_CACHE
    - set to nonsnoop format if !IOMMU_CACHE
(in both cases TLP snoop bit is ignored?)

Other archs
    - ignore IOMMU_CACHE as cache is always snooped via their IOMMUs

> This is fundamentally different from what Intel is using it for.
>
> > but why do you call it abuse? IOMMU_CACHE was first introduced for
> > Intel platform:
>
> IMHO ARM changed the meaning when Robin linked IOMMU_CACHE to
> dma_is_coherent stuff. At that point it became linked to 'do I need to
> call arch cache flushers or not'.

I didn't identify the exact commit for above meaning change.

Robin, could you help share some thoughts here?

Thanks
Kevin