Date:   Tue, 5 Oct 2021 16:09:54 -0700
From:   Si-Wei Liu <siwliu.kernel@...il.com>
To:     Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@...pe.ca>
Cc:     Haakon Bugge <haakon.bugge@...cle.com>,
        Leon Romanovsky <leon@...nel.org>,
        Doug Ledford <dledford@...hat.com>,
        Bjorn Helgaas <bhelgaas@...gle.com>,
        "linux-pci@...r.kernel.org" <linux-pci@...r.kernel.org>,
        LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: Enabling RO on a VF

On Fri, Oct 1, 2021 at 6:02 AM Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@...pe.ca> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 01, 2021 at 11:59:15AM +0000, Haakon Bugge wrote:

> > > When qemu takes a VF and turns it into a PF in a VM it must emulate
> > > the RO bit and return one
> >
> > I have a pass-through VF:
> >
> > # lspci -s ff:00.0 -vvv
> > ff:00.0 Ethernet controller: Mellanox Technologies MT28800 Family [ConnectX-5 Ex Virtual Function]
> > []
> >               DevCtl: Report errors: Correctable- Non-Fatal- Fatal- Unsupported-
> >                       RlxdOrd- ExtTag- PhantFunc- AuxPwr- NoSnoop- FLReset-
>
> Like I said, it is a problem in the qemu area..
>
> Jason
Can you clarify why this is a problem in the QEMU area?

Even though Mellanox device might well support it (on VF), there's no
way for QEMU to really know if an arbitrary passthrough device may
support RO. It either has to resort to the host kernel to detect all
PCIe device functions up to the root port throughout the PCIe fabric,
or it may follow PF's enabling status if it is at all capable. I don't
see what QEMU can do by just forcefully emulating the bit?

Not to mention the current implementation only takes care of broken
root port but not the intermediate switches.
https://lore.kernel.org/linux-arm-kernel/MWHPR12MB1600255ACFCD3FB3C80EB8B6C88B0@MWHPR12MB1600.namprd12.prod.outlook.com/

-Siwei