Date:   Mon, 11 Oct 2021 16:37:38 +1100
From:   "david@...son.dropbear.id.au" <david@...son.dropbear.id.au>
To:     Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@...dia.com>
Cc:     "Tian, Kevin" <kevin.tian@...el.com>,
        "kwankhede@...dia.com" <kwankhede@...dia.com>,
        "robin.murphy@....com" <robin.murphy@....com>,
        "kvm@...r.kernel.org" <kvm@...r.kernel.org>,
        "iommu@...ts.linux-foundation.org" <iommu@...ts.linux-foundation.org>,
        "dwmw2@...radead.org" <dwmw2@...radead.org>,
        "baolu.lu@...ux.intel.com" <baolu.lu@...ux.intel.com>,
        "nicolinc@...dia.com" <nicolinc@...dia.com>
Subject: Re: [RFC 11/20] iommu/iommufd: Add IOMMU_IOASID_ALLOC/FREE

On Sat, Oct 02, 2021 at 09:25:42AM -0300, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> > > As I understood your remarks each IOAS can only be one of the formats
> > > as they have a different PTE layout. So here I ment that qmeu needs to
> > > be able to pick *for each IOAS* which of the two formats it is.
> >
> > No.  Both windows are in the same IOAS.  A device could do DMA
> > simultaneously to both windows.
>
> Sure, but that doesn't force us to model it as one IOAS in the
> iommufd. A while back you were talking about using nesting and 3
> IOAS's, right?
>
> 1, 2 or 3 IOAS's seems like a decision we can make.

Well, up to a point.  We can decide how such a thing should be
constructed.  However at some point there needs to exist an IOAS in
which both windows are mapped, whether it's directly or indirectly.
That's what the device will be attached to.

> PASID support will already require that a device can be multi-bound to
> many IOAS's, couldn't PPC do the same with the windows?

I don't see how that would make sense.  The device has no awareness of
multiple windows the way it does of PASIDs.  It just sends
transactions over the bus with the IOVAs it's told.  If those IOVAs
lie within one of the windows, the IOMMU picks them up and translates
them.  If they don't, it doesn't.

				| _way_ _around_!
http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (834 bytes)