Date:   Wed, 13 Oct 2021 14:37:12 +0200
From:   Paolo Bonzini <pbonzini@...hat.com>
To:     "Liu, Jing2" <jing2.liu@...el.com>,
        Thomas Gleixner <tglx@...utronix.de>,
        LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Cc:     "x86@...nel.org" <x86@...nel.org>,
        "Bae, Chang Seok" <chang.seok.bae@...el.com>,
        Dave Hansen <dave.hansen@...ux.intel.com>,
        Arjan van de Ven <arjan@...ux.intel.com>,
        "kvm@...r.kernel.org" <kvm@...r.kernel.org>,
        "Nakajima, Jun" <jun.nakajima@...el.com>,
        Jing Liu <jing2.liu@...ux.intel.com>,
        "seanjc@...gle.com" <seanjc@...gle.com>
Subject: Re: [patch 13/31] x86/fpu: Move KVMs FPU swapping to FPU core

On 13/10/21 12:25, Liu, Jing2 wrote:
> [...]
>> - the internal KVM value attached to guest_fpu.  When #NM happens, this
>> one becomes zero.
>
>> The CPU value is:
>>
>> - the guest_fpu value between kvm_load_guest_fpu and kvm_put_guest_fpu.
>>    This ensures that no state is lost in the case you are describing.
>>

> OK, you mean using guest_fpu as a KVM value. Let me describe the
> flow to see if anything missing.
>
> When #NM trap which makes passthrough, guest_fpu XFD set to 0 and keeps
> forever. (don't change HW XFD which is still 1)
> In the #NM trap, KVM alloc buffer and regenerate a #NM exception to guest
> to make guest kernel alloc its thread buffer.
> Then in next vmexit, KVM sync vcpu->arch.xfd, load guest_fpu value (=0) and
> update current->thread.fpu XFD to 0 for kernel reference.

In the #NM handler, KVM allocates the buffer and the guest_fpu XFD
becomes zero.  Also because the guest_fpu XFD is zero:

- #NM vmexits are disabled.  More precisely, trapping #NM is only
necessary if guest_fpu->xfd & ~vcpu->arch.xfd & vcpu->arch.xcr0 is
nonzero (i.e. only if there is a state that is guest_fpu-disabled, but
enabled according to both XFD and XCR0).

- On the next vmentry XFD is set to just vcpu->arch.xfd and the
instruction is retried.  If the instruction causes an #NM in the guest,
it is not trapped and delivered normally to the guest.

>> I think it's simpler to always wait for #NM, it will only happen once
>> per vCPU.  In other words, even if the guest clears XFD before it
>> generates #NM, the guest_fpu's XFD remains nonzero
>
> You mean a wrmsr trap doesn't do anything and return back?

The guest might run with the same XFD value as before (which is
guest_fpu->xfd | vcpu->arch.xfd), but vcpu->arch.xfd is changed.  The
value in vcpu->arch.xfd will be read back by an RDMSR, because
passthrough is not enabled and the RDMSR will cause a vmexit.

Once an #NM is received and guest_fpu->xfd becomes zero, passthrough can
be enabled.

Paolo