Date:   Tue, 19 Oct 2021 19:29:17 +0300
From:   Maxim Levitsky <maximlevitsky@...il.com>
To:     Andy Shevchenko <andy.shevchenko@...il.com>
Cc:     Andy Shevchenko <andriy.shevchenko@...ux.intel.com>,
        Hans de Goede <hdegoede@...hat.com>,
        linux-realtek-soc@...ts.infradead.org,
        Oder Chiou <oder_chiou@...ltek.com>,
        Ping-Ke Shih <pkshih@...ltek.com>, nic_swsd@...ltek.com,
        Derek Fang <derek.fang@...ltek.com>,
        Hayes Wang <hayeswang@...ltek.com>,
        Kailang Yang <kailang@...ltek.com>,
        linux-iio <linux-iio@...r.kernel.org>,
        Lars-Peter Clausen <lars@...afoo.de>,
        LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>, info@...neo.com
Subject: Re: BMI160 accelerometer on AyaNeo tablet

On Tue, Oct 19, 2021 at 12:59 PM Andy Shevchenko
<andy.shevchenko@...il.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 18, 2021 at 11:42 PM Maxim Levitsky <maximlevitsky@...il.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 18, 2021 at 10:02 PM Andy Shevchenko
> > <andy.shevchenko@...il.com> wrote:
> > > On Mon, Oct 18, 2021 at 09:02:40PM +0300, Maxim Levitsky wrote:

> > > Thank you for sharing. Seems they indeed used (deliberately or not) the wrong
> > > ID. So there are questions I have:
> > > - Is the firmware available in the wild?
> >
> > Likely so. It looks Aya team only released a single windows driver which
> > works on all revisions of their device including the Founder Edition,
> > which was released more that a year ago.
> >
> > It is likely that all 3 revisions that they sold carry this ACPI ID.
> > (The founder edition, first batch of IndieGoGo orders which had a
> > redesigned shell,
> > and 2nd batch (which I have) which has a new wifi card, a bit better
> > controller,
> > among other changes).
> >

> > > - Do they plan to update firmware to fix this?
> > > - Can we make sure that guys got their mistake and will be more careful
> > >   in the future?
> >
> > I CCed them, hoping that they would hear us. I can also raise this on their
> > discord when I find time to look there.
>
> I expect to have confirmation from them that they have got it and
> promise to fix the firmware (ACPI tables) for supported and future
> products.Can it be achieved? (Note, Hans already told what the HID
> should be used there)

Small Note: we are talking about BMI160 and not BMC150 and its ACPI HID is
I think is BMI0160. This doesn't change much, other that maybe a bit
more code to be added to read the rotation matrix.

> > > Realtek probably should make this ID marked somehow broken and not use
> > > in their products in case the answer to the first of the above question
> > > is "yes". (Of course in case the ID will be used for solely PCI enumerated
> > > product there will be no conflict, I just propose to be on the safest side,
> > > but remark should be made somewhere).
>
> Any comments from Realtek, please?

> > > This is done by the commit 8a0672003421 ("iio: accel: bmc150: Get
> > > mount-matrix from ACPI") which needs to be amended to take care about
> > > more devices, somewhere in drivers/iio/industialio-acpi.c ? Jonathan,
> > > Hans, what do you think?
> >
> > If you like to, I can probably volunteer to prepare a patch for this myself next
> > weekend, using this pointer as a reference.
>
> The best is to cooperate with Hans as he is much more involved in the
> topic of how these sensors are programmed and used in the Linux
> kernel. My job here is to fix ACPI HID and
> make every stakeholder be aware now and in the future.

Yep, not a problem at all, I am open to test any patch to fix these issues,
as well as try to write my own.

> > I will prepare a patch with a better commit description this weekend.
>
> Thanks, but let's not be in such a hurry, I really want to hear from
> both vendors. I guess a couple of weeks would be a reasonable time to
> settle this down.

I guess you are right. Waiting a few weeks seems very reasonable.

Thanks,
Best regards,
        Maxim Levitsky