Date:   Fri, 22 Oct 2021 09:59:05 +0200
From:   David Hildenbrand <david@...hat.com>
To:     Matthew Wilcox <willy@...radead.org>,
        Johannes Weiner <hannes@...xchg.org>
Cc:     Kent Overstreet <kent.overstreet@...il.com>,
        "Kirill A. Shutemov" <kirill@...temov.name>,
        linux-mm@...ck.org, linux-fsdevel@...r.kernel.org,
        linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
        "Darrick J. Wong" <djwong@...nel.org>,
        Christoph Hellwig <hch@...radead.org>,
        David Howells <dhowells@...hat.com>,
        Hugh Dickins <hughd@...gle.com>
Subject: Re: Folios for 5.15 request - Was: re: Folio discussion recap -

On 22.10.21 03:52, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 21, 2021 at 05:37:41PM -0400, Johannes Weiner wrote:
>> Here is my summary of the discussion, and my conclusion:
>
> Thank you for this.  It's the clearest, most useful post on this thread,
> including my own.  It really highlights the substantial points that
> should be discussed.
>
>> The premise of the folio was initially to simply be a type that says:
>> I'm the headpage for one or more pages. Never a tailpage. Cool.
>>
>> However, after we talked about what that actually means, we seem to
>> have some consensus on the following:
>>
>> 	1) If folio is to be a generic headpage, it'll be the new
>> 	   dumping ground for slab, network, drivers etc. Nobody is
>> 	   psyched about this, hence the idea to split the page into
>> 	   subtypes which already resulted in the struct slab patches.
>>
>> 	2) If higher-order allocations are going to be the norm, it's
>> 	   wasteful to statically allocate full descriptors at a 4k
>> 	   granularity. Hence the push to eliminate overloading and do
>> 	   on-demand allocation of necessary descriptor space.
>>
>> I think that's accurate, but for the record: is there anybody who
>> disagrees with this and insists that struct folio should continue to
>> be the dumping ground for all kinds of memory types?
>
> I think there's a useful distinction to be drawn between "where we're
> going with this patchset", "where we're going in the next six-twelve
> months" and "where we're going eventually".  I think we have minor
> differences of opinion on the answers to those questions, and they can
> be resolved as we go, instead of up-front.
>
> My answer to that question is that, while this full conversion is not
> part of this patch, struct folio is logically:
>
> struct folio {
> 	... almost everything that's currently in struct page ...
> };
>
> struct page {
>     unsigned long flags;
>     unsigned long compound_head;
>     union {
>         struct { /* First tail page only */
>             unsigned char compound_dtor;
>             unsigned char compound_order;
>             atomic_t compound_mapcount;
>             unsigned int compound_nr;
>         };
>         struct { /* Second tail page only */
>             atomic_t hpage_pinned_refcount;
>             struct list_head deferred_list;
>         };
>         unsigned long padding1[4];
>     };
>     unsigned int padding2[2];
> #ifdef CONFIG_MEMCG
>     unsigned long padding3;
> #endif
> #ifdef WANT_PAGE_VIRTUAL
>     void *virtual;
> #endif
> #ifdef LAST_CPUPID_NOT_IN_PAGE_FLAGS
>     int _last_cpupid;
> #endif
> };
>
> (I'm open to being told I have some of that wrong, eg maybe _last_cpupid
> is actually part of struct folio and isn't a per-page property at all)

> [...]

FWIW,

something like this would roughly express what I've been mumbling about:

anon_mem    file_mem
   |            |
   ------|------
      lru_mem       slab
         |           |
         -------------

	      page

I wouldn't include folios in this picture, because IMHO folios as of now
are actually what we want to be "lru_mem", just which a much clearer
name+description (again, IMHO).

Going from file_mem -> page is easy, just casting pointers.
Going from page -> file_mem requires going to the head page if it's a
compound page.

But we expect most interfaces to pass around a proper type (e.g.,
lru_mem) instead of a page, which avoids having to lookup the compund
head page. And each function can express which type it actually wants to
consume. The filmap API wants to consume file_mem, so it should use that.

And IMHO, with something above in mind and not having a clue which
additional layers we'll really need, or which additional leaves we want
to have, we would start with the leaves (e.g., file_mem, anon_mem, slab)
and work our way towards the root. Just like we already started with slab.

Maybe that makes sense.

--
Thanks,

David / dhildenb