Date:   Fri, 22 Oct 2021 16:00:31 +0200
From:   "Rafael J. Wysocki" <rafael@...nel.org>
To:     Florian Fainelli <f.fainelli@...il.com>
Cc:     "Rafael J. Wysocki" <rafael@...nel.org>,
        "Rafael J. Wysocki" <rafael.j.wysocki@...el.com>,
        LKML <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>,
        Linux Memory Management List <linux-mm@...ck.org>,
        lkp@...ts.01.org, kbuild test robot <lkp@...el.com>,
        kernel test robot <oliver.sang@...el.com>,
        Linux PM <linux-pm@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: [PM] bfcc1e67ff: kernel-selftests.breakpoints.step_after_suspend_test.fail

On Thu, Oct 21, 2021 at 9:19 PM Florian Fainelli <f.fainelli@...il.com> wrote:

> On 10/20/21 11:48 AM, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> >   On Wed, Oct 20, 2021 at 8:17 PM Florian Fainelli <f.fainelli@...il.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> On 10/20/21 9:00 AM, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

[cut]

> >> s2idle and shallow are, but deep is not.
> >
> > Why is it there in mem_sleep, then?  It should not be there if
> > valid_state() returns 'false' for it.
>
> The suspend_ops that is registered has a ->valid that will return false
> for the PM_SUSPEND_MEM case, yet we ignore that and we still populate
> valide_state[PM]

I guess you mean "we still populate pm_states[PM_SUSPEND_MEM]".
Otherwise I'm not sure what you mean. :-)

Yes, we do, but this doesn't explain why "deep" is present in
"mem_sleep" in that case, because mem_sleep_states[PM_SUSPEND_MEM] is
only populated by suspend_set_ops() and that does take ->valid() into
account.

> > mem_sleep_states[PM_SUSPEND_MEM] is only set by suspend_set_ops() if
> > valid_state(PM_SUSPEND_MEM) is 'true'.
>
> That is true, but pm_states[PM_SUSPEND_MEM] was (before my patch that
> is) unconditionally present. And for the same reason that you expect
> user-space to find the string "mem" in /sys/power/state, we expected not
> to find it, if PM_SUSPEND_MEM is not supported.

> >> But that was not the case before 406e79385f32 ("PM / sleep: System sleep
> >> state selection interface rework") and clearly nobody complained about
> >> that, did they?
> >
> > Yes, it was and yes, they did.  Changes like that are not made without a reason.

> >> What utilities do depend on that? That selftest that does not even check
> >> that "mem" is actually present in /sys/power/state and just fails its
> >> test if it is not, yes it's not great, but that can be fixed.
> >
> > Various GUI-based things like KDE, GNOME and similar plus the Chrome
> > user space IIRC.
>
> OK.

> >> The documentation just states that if the kernel supports *any* suspend
> >> state, then /sys/power/state will be present and likewise for
> >> /sys/power/mem_sleep, it does not say what the contents will be and that
> >> "mem" would always be present in there.
> >
> > It doesn't say so directly, but it kind of wouldn't make sense to have
> > "mem_sleep" without "mem" in "state" and it implies that "mem_sleep"
> > is not empty if it is present.  Ergo "mem" is present in "state" if
> > "mem_sleep" is present which is the case if (at least) s2idle is
> > supported.  That is always the case if CONFIG_SUSPEND is set which
> > follows from the suspend-to-idle description.
> >
> > Anyway, I'm still not sure what the problem really is.  Commit
> > 406e79385f32 still allows user space to only trigger transitions to
> > s2idle and other states explicitly reported as valid by the platform.
> >

> The problem from my perspective is still that "mem" is present even with
> PM_SUSPEND_PM not being valid for the said platform, and this is just
> confusing my/our user-space here as well as our users.

The "mem" string in /sys/power/state simply doesn't correspond to
PM_SUSPEND_MEM now, but PM_SUSPEND_MEM is just a number it has never
been well defined which state exactly is to be represented by it
(except for the ACPI case, but that's irrelevant here).

You are effectively saying something like "if my suspend_ops->valid()
returns 'false' for PM_SUSPEND_MEM, then the "mem" string should not
be there in /sys/power/state", but I don't really see why this matters
to user space and how, so please explain that to me.  What does it do
differently depending on whether or not "mem" is present?

The only case in which it may matter that I can imagine is if some
functionality is lost when "mem" is present in /sys/power/state, but
quite frankly I have no idea what functionality that may be.

> This was not like
> that back in the 4.9 kernel, but it changed later, therefore it also
> constitutes an user-space regression from my angle.

The best I can offer as a remedy would be an explicit opt-out
mechanism, say in the form of a kernel command line option, for
systems that cannot cope with the new sysfs interface behavior, but I
need to be convinced that they really cannot cope with it.