Date:   Thu, 28 Oct 2021 11:24:00 -0400
From:   Alan Stern <stern@...land.harvard.edu>
To:     Willy Tarreau <w@....eu>
Cc:     Kernel development list <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: GCC not detecting use of uninitialized variable?

On Thu, Oct 28, 2021 at 04:35:54AM +0200, Willy Tarreau wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 27, 2021 at 09:47:31PM -0400, Alan Stern wrote:

> > > I already had similar issues not being detected in loops.  I guess the
> > > reason is simple: it might not be trivial for the compiler to prove
> > > that the value was not set on any path leading to the first use,
> > > because one of these paths is the loop itself after the instruction was
> > > assigned. I've been so much used to it that I think it has always been
> > > there and I can live with it.
> >
> > Well, in this case there's only one path leading to the first use, since
> > the path that is the loop itself will never be the first use.  It seems
> > like a rather surprising oversight.
>
> For the first iteration yes but not the next ones. And each time I met
> a similar bug not being detected it was exactly in this situation. For
> example the warning about "variable X is set but not used" tends to
> disappear in such loops:
>
>       extern int blah();
>       int ret()
>       {
>           int a;
>           do { a = 1; } while (blah());
>           return 0;
>       }
>
> says "variable 'a' is set but not used". Just change "a=1" to "a++" and
> it disappears:
>
>       extern int blah();
>       int ret()
>       {
>           int a;
>           do { a++; } while (blah());
>           return 0;
>       }
>
> And the asm code shows that the a++ code is optimized away, explaining
> why there is no "may be used uninitialized" while it appears if you
> return a instead of 0.
>
> With that said, it could also depend on the gcc version and/or some
> kernel options, as gcc-7, 8 and 9 do emit the warning for me on your
> code when I build it by hand. You may want to double-check this
> aspect before asking GCC people.

Heh -- you're right about that!

I did do a quick double-check.  Converting the test program into
standard C and compiling it outside the kernel's build environment, I
get a "may be used uninitialized" warning when gcc is invoked with "-O2
-Wall" but not when it is invoked with just "-Wall".  On the other hand,
in the "while (0)" case I get "is used uninitialized" either way.

In kernel builds, gcc is invoked with "-Wno-maybe-uninitialized".  That
certainly explains the result I see.

But it doesn't explain why gcc fails to realize what happens the first
time through a "do" loop.  Such first-time iterations always occur (as
opposed to "while" loops) -- there's no "may" about it!

Alan