Date:   Wed, 10 Nov 2021 06:39:09 +0000
From:   <Michael.Wu@...ics.com>
To:     <apw@...onical.com>, <joe@...ches.com>
CC:     <dwaipayanray1@...il.com>, <lukas.bulwahn@...il.com>,
        <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: checkpatch warns a symbolic link has not a newline

Hi Andy & Joe,

I have a commit that contains a newly created symbolic link pointing to a certain file. I used ./scripts/checkpatch.pl to check this commit and then I got a WARNING: adding a line without newline at end of file. The symbolic link was created by ln -s.

I'm confused why it returned such a warning. Is the content of the patch not allowed to contain symbolic links? If it is allowed, I think checkpatch.pl can make some improvements, so that symbolic links will not be treated a warnings because of missing newline at end of file.

Best Regards,
Michael Wu