Date:   Fri, 10 Dec 2021 00:54:03 +0000
From:   小川 修一
        <ogawa.syuuichi@...d-mse.com>
To:     "linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org" <linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org>
CC:     山本 達史
        <yamamoto.tatsushi@...d-mse.com>,
        "Natsume, Wataru (ADITJ/SWG)" <wnatsume@...adit-jv.com>
Subject: RE: invalid counter value in request_queue

Hi all

I understood the reason why per-cpu couner became negative.
As I mention previous mail, q_usage_counter should be atomic counter.
percpu_refcount has not only percpu counter but also ATOMIC counter mode.

As fact, blk_alloc_queue_node() initialize request_queue->q_usage_counter as ATOMIC_MODE like this:

        /*
         * Init percpu_ref in atomic mode so that it's faster to shutdown.
         * See blk_register_queue() for details.
         */
        if (percpu_ref_init(&q->q_usage_counter,
                                blk_queue_usage_counter_release,
                                PERCPU_REF_INIT_ATOMIC, GFP_KERNEL))

However, q_usage_counter becomes percpu mode at blk_register_queue() .

blk_register_queue()

        /*
         * SCSI probing may synchronously create and destroy a lot of
         * request_queues for non-existent devices.  Shutting down a fully
         * functional queue takes measureable wallclock time as RCU grace
         * periods are involved.  To avoid excessive latency in these
         * cases, a request_queue starts out in a degraded mode which is
         * faster to shut down and is made fully functional here as
         * request_queues for non-existent devices never get registered.
         */
        if (!blk_queue_init_done(q)) {
                queue_flag_set_unlocked(QUEUE_FLAG_INIT_DONE, q);
                percpu_ref_switch_to_percpu(&q->q_usage_counter);
                blk_queue_bypass_end(q);
        }

When I remove percpu_ref_switch_to_percpu(&q->q_usage_counter) in blk_register_queue() ;

- At least percpu counter is no longer used.

super_block 0xffff9bb3f8bbcc30 "vdb"
 q=(struct request_queue *) 0xffff9bb3fb53d1c0,q->q_usage_counter.percpu_count_ptr=(unsigned long *) 0x3a80c000b2b9
 0:0xffffd634bfc0b2b9,0x0,0
 1:0xffffd634bfc8b2b9,0x0,0
 2:0xffffd634bfd0b2b9,0x0,0

You can find percpu_count_ptr has a bit __PERCPU_REF_ATOMIC=0x1
per cpu counter looks not used

- I check again q_usage_counter.

crash> p $q->q_usage_counter
$1 = {
  count = {
    counter = 5
  },
  percpu_count_ptr = 64324651496121,
  release = 0xffffffff9d44445d,
  confirm_switch = 0x0,
  force_atomic = true,
  rcu = {
    next = 0x0,
    func = 0x0
  }
}

atomic_t count is 5.
5 is OK or NG ? I will check it.
Other block device which ext4 mount on has counter=1

Now question is
   Why blk_register_queue() turn q_usage_counter to percpu mode ?

I think this code has some reason to turn to percpu mode, though blk-core.c treat that counter as atomic counter.
Does it have some problem ?

Best Regards, shuichi ogawa