Date:   Fri, 10 Dec 2021 08:56:56 +0000
From:   "Tian, Kevin" <kevin.tian@...el.com>
To:     Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@...dia.com>
CC:     "peter.maydell@...aro.org" <peter.maydell@...aro.org>,
        "lushenming@...wei.com" <lushenming@...wei.com>,
        "robin.murphy@....com" <robin.murphy@....com>,
        "Raj, Ashok" <ashok.raj@...el.com>,
        "kvm@...r.kernel.org" <kvm@...r.kernel.org>,
        Jean-Philippe Brucker <jean-philippe@...aro.org>,
        "maz@...nel.org" <maz@...nel.org>,
        "vsethi@...dia.com" <vsethi@...dia.com>,
        "alex.williamson@...hat.com" <alex.williamson@...hat.com>,
        "wangxingang5@...wei.com" <wangxingang5@...wei.com>,
        "vivek.gautam@....com" <vivek.gautam@....com>,
        "zhangfei.gao@...aro.org" <zhangfei.gao@...aro.org>,
        "eric.auger.pro@...il.com" <eric.auger.pro@...il.com>,
        "will@...nel.org" <will@...nel.org>,
        "kvmarm@...ts.cs.columbia.edu" <kvmarm@...ts.cs.columbia.edu>
Subject: RE: [RFC v16 1/9] iommu: Introduce attach/detach_pasid_table API

mdev is a pci device from user p.o.v, having its vRID and vPASID. From
this angle the uAPI is no different from vfio-pci (except the ARM one):

  - (sw mdev) Attach emulated page table to vRID (no iommu domain)
  - (hw mdev) Attach page table to vRID (mapped to mdev PASID)
  - (hw mdev) Attach page table to vPASID (mapped to a fungible PASID)

> It is what I've said a couple of times, the API the driver calls
> toward iommufd to attach a page table must be unambiguous as to the
> intention, which also means userspace must be unambiguous too.

No question on the unambiguous part. But we also need to consider
the common semantics that can be abstracted.

>From user p.o.v a vRID can be attached to at most two page tables (if
nesting is enabled). This just requires the basic attaching form for
either one page table or two page tables:

	at_data = {
		.iommufd	= xxx;
		.pgtable_id	= yyy;
	};
	ioctl(device_fd, VFIO_DEVICE_ATTACH_PGTABLE, &at_data);

This can already cover ARM's requirement. The user page table
attached to vRID is in vendor specific format, e.g. either ARM pasid
table format or Intel stage-1 format. For ARM pasid_table + underlying
stage-1 page tables can be considered as a single big paging structure.

>From this angle I'm not sure the benefit of making a separate uAPI
just because it's a pasid table for ARM.

Then when PASID needs to be explicitly specified (e.g. in Intel case):

	at_data = {
		.iommufd	= xxx;
		.pgtable_id	= yyy;
		.flags 		= VFIO_ATTACH_FLAGS_PASID;
		.pasid		= zzz;
	};
	ioctl(device_fd, VFIO_DEVICE_ATTACH_PGTABLE, &at_data);

Again, I don't think what a simple flag can solve needs to be made
into a separate uAPI.

Is modeling like above considered ambiguous?

Thanks
Kevin