Date:   Thu, 3 Feb 2022 18:57:06 -0600
From:   Larry Finger <Larry.Finger@...inger.net>
To:     Slade Watkins <slade@...dewatkins.com>,
        Wireless <linux-wireless@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: rtw89 driver

On 2/3/22 18:26, Slade Watkins wrote:
> Hi there,
> Quick question for wireless folks: would backporting the rtw89
> driver[1] (Realtek 8852AE) to kernels older than 5.16.y be possible at
> some point down the road? I ask this as, when testing a stable build
> of 5.15.y a bit ago, I had an issue where the driver wasn't present
> and the system I was testing it on wasn't happy and started kicking
> errors. (It's fairly new, so I did kind of expect that.) I was,
> however, able to solve this by manually building and installing the
> drivers so it wasn't that big of a deal.
>
> [1] https://github.com/lwfinger/rtw89

If for some reason, you do not like my version of the kernel code in the GitHub
repo that you reference, then you could use the Backports Project.

Backporting a driver into one of the stable trees is not a sanctioned activity.
Stable kernels only get fixes for bugs, not new features such as a complete driver.

At least one distro packages rtw89 as kernel modules the same as my GitHub repo.
That distro is openSUSE, which gets its source from that very repo. There may be
others that provide similar packages.

Larry