Date:   Wed, 16 Feb 2022 13:58:21 -0500
From:   Steven Rostedt <rostedt@...dmis.org>
To:     Sven Schnelle <svens@...ux.ibm.com>
Cc:     linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, linux-s390@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: ftrace startup tests crashing due to missing rcu_synchronize()

On Wed, 16 Feb 2022 13:54:19 -0500
Steven Rostedt <rostedt@...dmis.org> wrote:

> That is, shutdown is called, the item is removed from the list and freed,
> but something got preempted while on the ftrace trampoline, with a
> reference to the item, and then woke up and executed the item that was
> freed.
>
> I'll look into it. Thanks for the report.

OK, I wonder if something changed with "is_kernel_core_date()"?

Because on registering, we have:

	if (!is_kernel_core_data((unsigned long)ops))
		ops->flags |= FTRACE_OPS_FL_DYNAMIC;

and in the shutdown, we have:

	/*
	 * Dynamic ops may be freed, we must make sure that all
	 * callers are done before leaving this function.
	 * The same goes for freeing the per_cpu data of the per_cpu
	 * ops.
	 */
	if (ops->flags & FTRACE_OPS_FL_DYNAMIC) {
		/*
		 * We need to do a hard force of sched synchronization.
		 * This is because we use preempt_disable() to do RCU, but
		 * the function tracers can be called where RCU is not watching
		 * (like before user_exit()). We can not rely on the RCU
		 * infrastructure to do the synchronization, thus we must do it
		 * ourselves.
		 */
		synchronize_rcu_tasks_rude();

		/*
		 * When the kernel is preemptive, tasks can be preempted
		 * while on a ftrace trampoline. Just scheduling a task on
		 * a CPU is not good enough to flush them. Calling
		 * synchronize_rcu_tasks() will wait for those tasks to
		 * execute and either schedule voluntarily or enter user space.
		 */
		if (IS_ENABLED(CONFIG_PREEMPTION))
			synchronize_rcu_tasks();

 free_ops:
		ftrace_trampoline_free(ops);
	}

If the ops is not flagged as being allocated, or if one of the rcu
synchronizations has changed and allowed for us to continue, then this
would cause what you see.

-- Steve