Date:   Thu, 17 Feb 2022 10:04:23 -0700
From:   Jonathan Corbet <corbet@....net>
To:     Tomasz Warniełło <tomasz.warniello@...il.com>
Cc:     linux-doc@...r.kernel.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [RFC] scripts: kernel-doc: Major kernel-doc rework

Tomasz Warniełło <tomasz.warniello@...il.com> writes:

> I will prepare the POD part. As for the rest, you will need a porter if you
> decide this is the way to go. I could help with explanations if something is
> unclear and as long as the questions come soon. The winter is almost over and
> I need to switch to other activities like earning money.

Understood.

> I understand. I didn't know there was a rewrite. I'm not into Python, but
> if you could post a link, I'd take a look out of curiosity.
>
> If the community prefers Python, what can I say about this? Their choice.

This is the kernel community you're talking about - saying that it
prefers any language (except possibly C) is asking for big-time trouble
:)

*I* prefer Python, and the Sphinx side of things is necessarily in
Python, so I'd be happy to see kernel-doc move over.  That said, others
certainly disagree.

Markus's work was here:

  https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/1485287564-24205-1-git-send-email-markus.heiser@darmarit.de/

At the time, we were just trying to get the RST transition done, and
swapping out the kernel-doc script seemed like a major distraction that
we didn't need, so this never got looked at as seriously as I would have
liked.

> Personally, I'd rather play with translating this script to Raku (aka
> Perl 6).

Trying to add yet another language dependency is another path to
unhappiness, we're not going to go there.

Thanks,

jon