Date:   Fri, 18 Feb 2022 21:12:50 +0100
From:   Aleksandr Nogikh <nogikh@...gle.com>
To:     Song Liu <songliubraving@...com>,
Cc:     Song Liu <song@...nel.org>, Daniel Borkmann <daniel@...earbox.net>,
Subject: Re: [syzbot] KASAN: vmalloc-out-of-bounds Read in bpf_jit_free

On Thu, Feb 17, 2022 at 9:05 PM Song Liu <songliubraving@...com> wrote:

> Hi Aleksandr,
>
> > On Feb 17, 2022, at 10:32 AM, Aleksandr Nogikh <nogikh@...gle.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Song,
> >
> > On Wed, Feb 16, 2022 at 5:27 PM Song Liu <song@...nel.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi Aleksandr,
> >>
> >> Thanks for your kind reply!

> >> I fixed sshkey in the config, and added a suppression for hsr_node_get_first.
> >> However, I haven't got a repro overnight.
> >
> > Oh, that's unfortunately not a very reliable thing. The bug has so far
> > happened only once on syzbot, so it must be pretty rare. Maybe you'll
> > have more luck with your local setup :)
> >
> > You can try to run syz-repro on the log file that is available on the
> > syzbot dashboard:
> > https://github.com/google/syzkaller/blob/master/tools/syz-repro/repro.go
> > Syzbot has already done it and apparently failed to succeed, but this
> > is also somewhat probabilistic, especially when the bug is due to some
> > rare race condition. So trying it several times might help.
> >
> > Also you might want to hack your local syzkaller copy a bit:
> > https://github.com/google/syzkaller/blob/master/syz-manager/manager.go#L804
> > Here you can drop the limit on the maximum number of repro attempts
> > and make needLocalRepro only return true if crash.Title matches the
> > title of this particular bug. With this change your local syzkaller
> > instance won't waste time reproducing other bugs.
> >
> > There's also a way to focus syzkaller on some specific kernel
> > functions/source files:
> > https://github.com/google/syzkaller/blob/master/pkg/mgrconfig/config.go#L125
>
> Thanks for these tips!
>
> After fixing some other things. I was able to reproduce one of the three
> failures modes overnight and some related issues from fault injection.
> These errors gave me clue to fix the bug (or at least one of the bugs).
>
> I have a suggestions on the bug dashboard, like:
>
> https://syzkaller.appspot.com/bug?id=86fa0212fb895a0d41fd1f1eecbeaee67191a4c9
>
> It isn't obvious to me which image was used in the test. Maybe we can add
> a link to the image or instructions to build the image? In this case, I
> think the bug only triggers on some images, so testing with the exact image
> is important.

Hmm, that's interesting. If the exact image can really make a
difference, I think we could e.g. remember the images syzbot used for
the last 1-2 months and make them downloadable from the bug details
page. I'll check if there are any obstacles, at first sight this
should not be a problem.

Thanks for the suggestion!

--
Best Regards,