Date:   Mon, 21 Feb 2022 19:41:24 +0200
From:   Andy Shevchenko <andriy.shevchenko@...ux.intel.com>
To:     Clément Léger <clement.leger@...tlin.com>
Cc:     Daniel Scally <djrscally@...il.com>,
        Heikki Krogerus <heikki.krogerus@...ux.intel.com>,
        Sakari Ailus <sakari.ailus@...ux.intel.com>,
        "Rafael J . Wysocki" <rafael@...nel.org>,
        Wolfram Sang <wsa@...nel.org>, Peter Rosin <peda@...ntia.se>,
        Russell King <linux@...linux.org.uk>,
        Andrew Lunn <andrew@...n.ch>,
        Heiner Kallweit <hkallweit1@...il.com>,
        "David S . Miller" <davem@...emloft.net>,
        Jakub Kicinski <kuba@...nel.org>, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
        linux-acpi@...r.kernel.org, linux-i2c@...r.kernel.org,
        netdev@...r.kernel.org,
        Thomas Petazzoni <thomas.petazzoni@...tlin.com>,
        Alexandre Belloni <alexandre.belloni@...tlin.com>
Subject: Re: [RFC 00/10] add support for fwnode in i2c mux system and sfp

On Mon, Feb 21, 2022 at 05:26:42PM +0100, Clément Léger wrote:
> The purpose of this work is to allow i2c muxes and adapters to be
> usable with devices that are described with software_node. A solution
> for this is to use the fwnode API which works with both device-tree,
> ACPI and software node. In this series, functions are added to retrieve
> i2c_adapter from fwnode and to create new mux adapters from fwnode.
>
> This series is part of a larger changeset that touches multiple
> subsystems. series will be sent separately for each subsystems since
> the amount of modified file is quite large. The following cover letter
> gives an overview of this work:
>
> ---
>
> The LAN966X SoC can either run it's own Linux system or be plugged in
> a PCIe slot as a PCIe switch. When running with a Linux system, a
> device-tree description is used to describe the system. However, when
> plugged in a PCIe slot (on a x86), there is no device-tree support and
> the peripherals that are present must be described in some other way.
>
> Reusing the existing drivers is of course mandatory and they should
> also be able to work without device-tree description. We decided to
> describe this card using software nodes and a MFD device. Indeed, the
> MFD subsystem allows to describe such systems using struct mfd_cells
> and mfd_add_devices(). This support also allows to attach a
> software_node description which might be used by fwnode API in drivers
> and subsystems.
>
> We thought about adding CONFIG_OF to x86 and potentially describe this
> card using device-tree overlays but it introduce other problems that
> also seems difficult to solve (overlay loading without base
> device-tree, fixup of IRQs, adresses, and so on) and CONFIG_OF is not
> often enabled on x86 to say the least.

Why it can't be described by SSDT overlay (if the x86 platform in question is
ACPI based)?

> TLDR: I know the series touches a lot of different files and has big
> implications, but it turns out software_nodes looks the "best" way of
> achieving this goal and has the advantage of converting some subsystems
> to be node agnostics, also allowing some ACPI factorization. Criticism
> is of course welcome as I might have overlooked something way simpler !
>
> ---
>
> This series introduce a number of changes in multiple subsystems to
> allow registering and using devices that are described with a
> software_node description attached to a mfd_cell, making them usable
> with the fwnode API. It was needed to modify many subsystem where
> CONFIG_OF was tightly integrated through the use of of_xlate()
> functions and other of_* calls. New calls have been added to use fwnode
> API and thus be usable with a wider range of nodes. Functions that are
> used to get the devices (pinctrl_get, clk_get and so on) also needed
> to be changed to use the fwnode API internally.
>
> For instance, the clk framework has been modified to add a
> fwnode_xlate() callback and a new named fwnode_clk_add_hw_provider()
> has been added. This function will register a clock using
> fwnode_xlate() callback. Note that since the fwnode API is compatible
> with devices that have a of_node member set, it will still be possible
> to use the driver and get the clocks with CONFIG_OF enabled
> configurations.

How does this all is compatible with ACPI approaches?
I mean we usually do not reintroduce 1:1 DT schemas in ACPI.

I think the CCF should be converted to use fwnode APIs and meanwhile
we may discuss how to deal with clocks on ACPI platforms, because
it may be a part of the power management methods.

> In some subsystems, it was possible to keep OF related function by
> wrapping the fwnode ones. It is not yet sure if both support
> (device-tree and fwnode) should still continue to coexists. For instance
> if fwnode_xlate() and of_xlate() should remain since the fwnode version
> also supports device-tree. Removing of_xlate() would of course require
> to modify all drivers that uses it.
>
> Here is an excerpt of the lan966x description when used as a PCIe card.
> The complete description is visible at [2]. This part only describe the
> flexcom controller and the fixed-clock that is used as an input clock.
>
> static const struct property_entry ddr_clk_props[] = {
>         PROPERTY_ENTRY_U32("clock-frequency", 30000000),

>         PROPERTY_ENTRY_U32("#clock-cells", 0),

Why this is used?

--
With Best Regards,